1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems playing discs after CCE encoding.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mitrepooc, Feb 23, 2003.

1. mitrepooc

mitrepooc Member

Hi All,
    I seem to having real grief playing my CCE encoded discs...i'm using this guide http://www.dvd2dvdr.com/CCE_Ifo.htm to the letter, but when i play on a standalone player the disc starts to play, then stutters, then locks up, you can then move to the next chapter, same thing happens, i then tested it on my software dvd players the first being Theatertek....no good....does exactly the same as a standalone player, BUT, when i use Powerdvd 4 xp they play just fine???
    The discs are:
    The Bourne Identity.
    The Heist.
    Behind Enemy lines.
    All NTSC.
    The only PAL disc i have done was with TMPGENC & that works fine on everything.
    The media i have tried is Datasafe Media (blue & white label) Datawrite Classic (silver label) & White Label (torquoise label).
    The PAL disc media was Bulkpaq (pink label).
    I have also tried to re-author using maestro but again, without success.
    DVD's i have downloaded some of which have been encoded play just fine (except Fear Dot Com).
    All of my direct copies play fine also, so i guess it is an encoding problem.
    Please help.
    MIT

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

What was your process from demuxing to CCE? I use dvd2avi to produce a d2v and ac3 file. I also force frame in dvd2avi for NTSC movies. This is a must and also helps your encoding speed in CCE. After your movie is done, you must do a pulldown to convert it back to 29.97.

The other thing it could be is your encoding bitrate in CCE. I had problems when I set the max bitrate to 9800. I have since put it down to 9000 and everything works fine.

Third thing it could be is your settings in CCE like zigzag, progressive frames, top first, etc.

I would get one really nice dvd-rw brand disc, like a Sony or Verbatim that can handle higher burn speeds. It could be your media.

You could also be burning at too fast a speed. Turn it down to 1x and see what happens.

3. mitrepooc

mitrepooc Member

Framerman,
    Thanks for the reply.
    My demuxing is carried out by smartripper,I then set a D2v file using dvd2avi v1.76 setting forced film for NTSC none for PAL,I then use VFAPI to convert to AVI,next step is the bitrate viewer & all it's relevant settings noted for setting CCE.
    I use this bitrate calculator from: http://dvd-hq.info/Calculator.html
    The Bourne Identity settings i used:

Video files = ES
    Video encoding mode = vbr 4 pass
    MPEG 2 = yes
    Average bitrate of 4250kbits/sec
    Min bitrate of 1700kbits/sec
    Max bitrate of 8750kbits/sec

Video Tab.

Add sequence end code = yes
    Upper field first = yes
    Dvd compliant = yes
    Luminence level = 16 to 235
    Intra DC precision = 10
    Aspect Ratio = DAR 16:9
    Timecode = 00.00.00.00
    All other settings = no

Gop Tab.

M = 3
    NM = 4
    Seq header = 1
    All other settings = default

Quality settings Tab.

Image quality priority = 5
    Anti noise filter = no

When this is done i use Pulldownbatch FE v1.0 to set the frame rate to 29.97fps, i then use Ifoedit v0.95 to strip the chapter list, i re-author/re-mux using Ifoedit as well.
    Basically the method should work but it doen't, although i read somewhere that setting the dvd compliant tab in CCE's video settings automatically set's the max bitrate to 9800kbits/sec no matter what you put in the bitrate box & is best left unticked apart from that i'm stumped & pissed off
    The burner i use is a Vivastar dvd-r only 1x speed, it's old but generally reliable.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Cheers.
    MIT

Last edited: Feb 23, 2003
  4. framerman

framerman Regular member

You seem to have everything correct and your knowledge is thorough enough to understand some of the minor issues that can make a dvd go wrong. The only thing that I do different is use Maestro in authoring. I used IFOedit for a couple of movies, but things went sour pretty fast. I don't know if the problems have been fixed or not, but I have had 100% success rate in Maestro.