1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems playing DVD's written with Pioneer A04 on Samsung DVD S224 Player

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gbresler, Jun 19, 2003.

1. gbresler

gbresler Member

I am doing some amatuer DVD production on my home movies using [bold]Ulead Video Studio 6[/bold]. I then use the wizard included in this software to write the DVD to a blank DVD-R using the [bold]Pioneer A04 (Firmware 1.32).[/bold]

When I want to play these dvd's, they work perfectly in the Pioneer and have tried on another dvd-rom on a friends PC, but these discs very rarely play on a standalone DVD player (Have tried cheap and more expensive players, settling on the [bold]Samsung DVD-S224)[/bold].

Sometimes these discs play, and other times not (very unpredicable). It also appears to be dependent on whether you put a sticker on the DVD after it's written on non labled blank DVD-R's (blank mdia that has a printed label on appear to work better)

Any advice, or stories of simillar problems....[bold]Please Help[/bold]

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I have a Pioneer 104 & have been happily burning for a good long time...if you let me know the method of choice in DVD back up I'll try and answer more informatively!
    Are you burning MPEG or VOB/IFO/BUP for instance ??

Dont ever put stickers on CD-R/DVD-R etc. I've read numerous posts on how damaging that can be to laser
    [​IMG]

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You never mentioned the DVD-R media that you were using. Let us know what it is, maybe its the problem?

4. gbresler

gbresler Member

Thanx for your responses...to answer
    1) herbsman's question: Ulead video studo 6 converts the .mpeg 2 file to VOB/IFO/BUP and then this is burnt to the disk in two folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS (like a DVD should be). I have a question for you about the stickers...do they actually cause damage to the laser, causing the problems to get worse slowly over time each time you play a sticker'd DVD?
    2)Oriphus's question: I have had some success with Infinity Professional DVDR47i's, but most of my problems are coming from a cylindrical tube of 50 noname, no print fairly cheap DVD's (I should have known better!!). I have since stopped using these, and bought some more expensive, already labelled Packard Bell DVD-r's (never used yet so don't know how good they are)

5. herbsman

I would suggest reading/researching about stickers on CD/DVD's as I probably wont give you the exact answer your after ...

On the media point. I and many others use Ritek G03 DVD-R (a quality disc @ reasonable price)

I use DVD Architect to convert mpeg1 or 2 to VOB/BUP/IFO...

At the end of it all , I'd say it was a media problem you are probably having a nightmare with

[​IMG]

6. gbresler

gbresler Member

Thanx so much for all the responses. I have tried the Packard Bell, DVD-R (I think it's their cheapest of the range), and have had success. I also have not used the stickers (so it could be sticker or media problems...who will ever know!) I considered putting a sticker on this newly written disk to see if it was possibly the media issue....will post any feedback if I do....

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I totally agree with Herbsman, the only way to be sure to rule out media as being a problem is to get hold of some Ritek G03's or G04's and see if they work. If they don't, chances are something it working right, be it software or hardware.

Check out the DVD-R Riteks from CLone Disc:

http://www.dvd-and-media.com

Chris

8. gbresler

gbresler Member

EXCELLENT! Thanx for this, will be ordering from them shortly.....my writer only ever writes at 1x, so I would imagine, at least the 2x disks @ £0.79 / disk will be good enough? Agree?

9. herbsman

[​IMG]

I still have the 1.31 2X4Ritek firmware on my Pio104 but I still burn all movies @X1 to ensure 100% success w/ burn (well maybe 99.9%)

The CloneDisc (Ritek) X2 is probably what I'll purchase next myself ..!!

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I give you all these seed bearing plants & 'erbs to use...[/small]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2003
  10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yep - thats a good disc to go with Herbsman.

11. gbresler

gbresler Member

I can now confirm, conclusively, that I was having media trouble. The newly written Packard Bell DVD-R disks are working great, with stickers on too. I have now cloned 4 disks from the original Infinity disks, onto the Packard Bell disks, and put a stcker on all of them, with all working perfectly on my standalone player. Thanx again for all you help... I will also shortly be trying the website mentioned for my next disk purchase._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Been try'n and try'n[/small]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  12. herbsman

You wont have a problem w/ stickers straight away but after a length of time (when the adhesive has had enough)