1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems playing FLV files with VLC Player

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by LDee, May 22, 2007.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi

I'm having problems with flv files that I've downloaded from various websites (mainly with the Video Ook plug in for firefox). They play in vlc player with good sound and full screen but I cannot navigate forwards or backwards or anything. This means if the video is an hour long and I want to see something at the last ten minutes I would have to sit through the first 50 even though I don't want to watch it. If I grab the slider and attempt to go to any other time in the file other than where it currently is at, it just stops playing the video, also does not work using the buttons.

Please help, I've downloaded other flv players but didn't like them (they have trouble getting to fullscreen aparently, vlc does that fine) can I do something with vlc player to fix this? The guide on this site mentions nothing of the seek issue.

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Anyone else experienced this? I've looked all through vlc's settings, changed loads of stuff, haven't found anything to help.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Ok, sorry, but this problem is really getting to me, I gotta bump this again, last time I promise. If I don't get any joy now I'll look elsewhere.

Could someone at least tell me if they experience the same problem?

4. 2colors

2colors Guest

Have you tried to convert it to someother format?

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

6. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for your replies.

Haven't tried to convert them yet, got any suggestions on what to use to do that considering we are talking about .flv files?

Ripper, downloaded it, it works fine and lets me scroll, one thing though, no full screen?!

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Google "flv converter".

And erm, yeah, you're right? :S

Hmmm, sorry about that. Works though.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yeah, I don't really understand why they wouldn't include a full screen function...?

Anyway, downloaded a prog called Super which I never heard of until now, plays and converts almost everything aparently. Bit weird for playing (it's been playing the video really fst on some of my flv's, don't know if I can stop that with settings) but seems to be really good for encoding/converting.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yes, from what I've been told by several members it is a very good/fast encoder etc.

Didn't know it played though :)

10. pearl1214

pearl1214 Guest

yes, maybe converted the flv files to avi,wmv to play on windos media player to play, you will control full screen, navigate forwards or backwards and other control bar for you, I used moyea flv to video converter help me do that, it is easy-to-use tool, it works fine for me, you can try that,
    edited by ddp
    Good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  11. FireOnIce

FireOnIce Member

I am having the same problems as the original poster. Everything is fine, except any attempt to touch the timebar automatically makes the video disappear... the program doesn't crash, doesn't lag or freeze, it just :::poof::: gone.

12. LDee

LDee Regular member

I found a better player (for flv anyway, vlc is still the king of everything else) that lets you navigate forwards backwards, whatever you like. It can also play flv in full screen although it is still windowed, it's called wimpy (for some strange reason):

http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_standalone_flv_player.html

Also, I'm guessing that most of the flv's you get are downloaded from sites such as youtube and other streaming sites? Nowadays I use a program called VideoGet which lets you download directly from the site and can convert it to any one of a few video formats then and there. I do this and set them to convert to avi, makes everything a lot easier in the long run. You can change settings so as to get it as high quality as possible, you can also just take the audio as an mp3 or something. It's a nice little program and updates itself everytime you start it which means it changes so that it can still download despite attempts that youtube make to stop downloaders working, that feature has worked good so far where other youtube downloaders have failed, just be sure that it's ok'd in your firewall. Also sometimes it seems to throw an error for no reason and claim it can't do the job, if that happens remove everything from the list, close the program (make sure it's fully closed in task manager) and start again. Here's the link:

http://nuclear-coffee.com/php/download.php?id=VideoGet

Hope this helps.

13. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Just to piggy back...videos with certain file extensions were meant mainly for streaming over the web. And that's why you can't fast-forward or rewind them. You watch them at one sitting.