1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!!!! HELP QUICK!!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Mudvayne, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

OK, I have had my Magic 3.1 in my V7 PS2 for about 4 days now. It has been working flawlessly. But tonight when i tried to play a copied PSx game, it froze on the PS symbol. When i tried to restart it, it would not boot up. I then shut everything down, and re-cycle, still nothing. Then i tapped on top, and it loaded. But it would not read any discs. Then i restarted and got it to load a PS2 game, but then said "bad disc" while in the game menu. So i took the PS2 apart and checked EVERYTHING. Now it is a 50/50 chance of booting. And it really doesn't want to boot after going from a PSx game to a PS2 game. But when it works, everything works on it, PS2, PSx, back ups and originals. Any suggestions?? Think it is the disc drive? Thanks!

2. slyman

slyman Guest

I need help where can I get a cheap priced playstation 2 with a built in mod chip. I also need a tutorial on how to copy cds

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Don't know where to buy premods....

To copy cd games just read some threads or use the Search message option here at afterdawn.
    There are several tutorials around here at AD.

4. _Filo_

_Filo_ Member

Erm ... Neither of thoese replies are very usefull to Mudvayne ?!?

5. lady

lady Member

hhmmmm. I know you said that you checked all the sodder points but it sounds like you have a lose wire if it goes from 'great' to 'crap' like that. Do you turn on and off the PS2 'correctly' as you go from CD to DVD???

6. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

Yeah, I power it down to Standby, and then it doesn't like to boot back up. I checked all of the wires, and even resoldered one that i thought looked bad. Why would tapping the PS2 allow the console to boot correctly???

7. lady

lady Member

to me (and I am no expert) it appears that a wire must be shorting in some way... That's the only logical thing i can think of due to your 'tapping' phenomenon... hhmmmm.. Have you ever heard of whitching your W wire to the W1 wire position???

8. lady

lady Member

do you turn off the PS2 (when you switch from PSX to PS2) by flipping the switch in the back??.. or do you just turn off w/ the front button??

9. jr_

jr_ Guest

check your ground wire connection on your board from the mod chip. Would explain the tap and pulling the bios lines high will stop it from booting.

10. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

I turn off the PS2 to from the front, and then switch it off in the back. and Jr_ when you say:
    "pulling the bios lines high will stop it from booting." what does "pulling the bios lines high" mean?? Thanks for you guys' info!

11. jr_

jr_ Guest

If you have no ground to the mod chip the lines soldered to the bios chip may get pulled high so they can't function and the PS2 won't boot.

12. lady

lady Member

I have heard of using 2 ground wires to make sure there is NO problem... see if that helps

13. Mudvayne

Mudvayne Guest

Actually, i just put another V7 PS2 DVD drive in my console, and it works FINE again. I haven't had one boot problem. I'll keep you posted on what happens! Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2003