1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems reading/copying my copied DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by satsuma, Mar 22, 2005.

1. satsuma

satsuma Member

Hi all, hope some clever soul can help.
    I have been burning dvd's (mainly movies, but data discs as well) for about a year with no problems using my Pioneer DVR 106-D and Nero 6.3.x.x with windows XP service pack 2.
    Recently I wanted to do additional copies of a few of my copied movies for a friend (had done this in the past, again with no problems) but when I place ANY of my 100+ backed up movies in the drive and go into 'my computer' and click on the drive icon I get a message telling me to insert a disc.
    Running Nero and selecting DVD copy results in the 'waiting for drive to become ready' message with the progress bar repeating over and over until it says that the drive is not responding perhaps due to a defective disc.
    I have upgraded to Nero 6.6.0.8, but still the same problem persists, dvd-r or dvd+r discs that I KNOW I have made additional copies from before refuse to be recognised by windows/nero.
    I have also found the same problem with data dvd's I have made no longer being recognised by windows or again by nero.
    When I burn a disc and select the 'verify written data' option, all seems well and Nero confirms that the copy is successful (so that seems to negate the possibility that it is simply a read problem with my burner), but then when re-inserting the disc it is unreadable by windows and Nero with the same messages already described.
    Commercial discs read fine and my copies all play in all 3 of my standalone players, also my data discs read in a friends p.c using the same OS.
    Any suggestions would be most welcome :(

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

sounds like u are using crap media to me...

can we have the media details.

also dont mention things like distributing copyrighted material... you will get a slap on the wrist/ban... just say you need to backup something

3. satsuma

satsuma Member

Sorry if I contravened posting rules there, won't do it again, thanks for the advice Babelfish.

I have several different media brands,
    Bulkpaq (both +r and -r) white top 2x and 4x
    Bulkpaq -r yellow top 4x
    Imation -r 4x
    P.C world unbranded -r

all of the above seem to burn O.K, and Nero verifies that the data is written correctly, but if then ejected and reinserted will not be recognised in the P.C drive.
    sorry if i'm missing the point here, but if the data is verified by nero as being written successfully then surely it should then read in the drive afterwards?
    Also the discs work fine all the standalone players I have tested them on.

4. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

yeah - deffo sounds like crappy media to me... bulkpaq arent that good really - imation seems to have let slip since their floppy disk hayday (man im going back here) and pc world unbranded sound like a budget disk to me...

most of the people here now use quality media due to having problems with crappy media...

just b4 xmas i bought 200 TY disks (supposidly a great brand) only to find they were fakes and now i have about 50 disks i cant read 100% now! how pissed off am i?

anyway - a lesson learned... check the media forum for what brands people recommend... TY originals, certain fuji, certain ritek, verbatim etc...

5. satsuma

satsuma Member

Thanks for the quick response and advice Babelfish, like yourself I remember when Imation was regarded as a superior brand of disc, it was why I bought them in the first place when I got my DVD burner.
    I'll check the media forum as you suggest, but i've pretty much now decided to try Verbatim to see if that solves my problems. I pretty much exclusively used their CD-R's for PSX discs with excellent results and perhaps should have stuck with them (oh hindsight is a wonderful thing!), but the Imation discs were a few quid a spindle cheaper and I thought based on previous experience that they MUST be just as good, and I am certain that I managed to copy them successfully when I first got them.
    I have just upgraded the drives firmware with no change, except that those unbranded PC world discs I have (DVD+RW) now read fine again, so my MP3 backups are safe at least (pity about my MAME roms which are on Bulqpaq and were on a slave hard drive which I recently converted to NTFS and are thus gone)
    As I originally said, all my discs read fine in my mates PC DVD-ROM (I put the MAME roms on his PC last month) so I am considering replacing my largely redundant CD burner with a decent DVD-ROM myself to see if it 'resurrects' all my other data.

6. colw

colw Active member

Are you using labels on your burnt DVD's? - If so, these will normally degrade and cause playback problems over time.

7. satsuma

satsuma Member

No, I leave the discs plain and stick 'em in a paper sleeve.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

oh dear!

[bold]I have several different media brands,
    Bulkpaq (both +r and -r) white top 2x and 4x
    Bulkpaq -r yellow top 4x
    Imation -r 4x
    P.C world unbranded -r [/bold]

they will be ok (thats if you were lucky in the first place this is?) for about 3/4 months then degrade to COASTERS!

thats it sorry!

9. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

No probs...

yeah - verbatims ruled for psx backups.. it was the only disk mine read really (1st gen console) and after so many years i had to run it on its side to even read verb disks :)

problem with verbs was a while ago they stopped using a good manufacturer and went to a poor one (you could tell by the dye colour on the bottom of the disk) and quality went down, they seem to be up there again now tho

TY have the best rep, but with all the fakes about i am really weary of buying them again (got 200 fakes b4 xmas)

10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

sounds like your dvd rom drive is now having problems reading d5 media. I had a simular problem with my lite on. It would read but the burned copys would not play. Started using my burner to read and write and that problem went away. May be time to Fdisk and reload everything you mentioned converted to NTFS. I've heard that can cause some problems converting fat32 to ntfs VS just formating NTFS. since the media plays on stand alone players and in other dvd rom drives I'm pointing toward the dvd drive. You may want to rent a movie that's on D5 media, there out there can't think of one right off but I've seen them.

11. satsuma

satsuma Member

Rotary - the oldest of those discs are the Imation, which were burnt over a year ago and having played a couple this week in my standalone player they still seem fine with no playback probs. The Bulqpaq date back 6 months, again they have not appeared to have degraded to the point that my DVD player(s) won't play 'em. Perhaps in time they will as you suggest. I have only ever had one disc fail on the write cycle and that happened as a result of a power cut, so I can't blame the media for that one.
    I still can't get my head round why when burning a disc on my Pioneer writer, Nero verifies the written data ,but when the disc is ejected and re-inserted will not recognise it. It kind of seems the equivalent of someone who writes something down and then the next day can't read their own handwriting (my boss is a prime example)

Spacedust - it is my writer that will not read the discs after writing them. I am going to add a decent dvd-rom to see if I can access some of my discs, especially my MAME roms and some family videos that I converted to disc and have relatives bugging me for additional copies. Might have to connect my portable DVD player the my DVD-Recorder in the front room and copy them that way, it'll work but it's a bit time consuming and 'hands-on'.
    When I converted my 2nd drive to NTFS from FAT32 I did FDISK it after moving all my data to my C drive (except the 15 gig of MAME files which would not fit) and now I can't get em back on it.

Babelfish - I think everyone who had the 1st gen PSX had the same probs. Mine would only play if turned on it's side and tilted over at an angle of about 30 degrees. I modelled a cradle for it to keep it at the optimum angle and it kept it going for a couple of years b4 it gave up the ghost and joined all the calculators in silicon heaven :)

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi
    i suppose these days all dye types are changing i had bulkcrap with prodisc id code,

also the prob you are having i get that with ritek ridisc i can burn the suckers ok and to read in burner wont see it! but put in old samsung dvdrom and alls fine! i had a mate send some data on ridisc and it wont read in my 106 drive... so i stay away from them on buying i still use ritek go5 8x but the brand is a ANV i use excatly same dye but these work in all drives

go figure?

13. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Will your burner read D5 media? You say Commercial discs read fine but most of them are D9 media. Larry the cable guy dvd (Getter Done) for example is D5 commercial disk. Im sure there are others just the only one that I have ran across lately.

Good Luck

Spacedust

14. marcomwa

marcomwa Member

I had the same problem and I am sure it is crap media I was using mirror dvd-r and white label dvd-r all cheap crap and I couldn't get my DVD ROM drive to regognise the back-up discs,the DVD drive they were burned on would eventually pick them up but it was a struggle I found the best way too do another copy, using DVD Shrink, was to use the same drive they were burnt on then start the coping process and swap the back-up disc for a blank one when prompted.But the best thing too do in the end is buy better media
    Marco

15. SassyKim

SassyKim Guest

I'm having this same problem and i have the same burner but i'm using office depot brand dvd+r 4x.I've never had any problems with this brand before so i've been looking at getting a new burner,thinking this one is just wore out.Did you get this problem fixed?

16. satsuma

satsuma Member

Got some Verbatim discs last week, checked them out using dvd identifier and they appear to be genuine, but still have the same problem.
    From many years of burning cd-r's I realise that burners do not have an infinite life, but I have probably only done at most 200 dvd's, so I would expect it to still be working perfectly, I used to expect at least 1000 burns before I had to replace my cd burner.

17. SassyKim

SassyKim Guest

I'm still having the same problem except mine are coasters.None of my dvd players will read the disc.I'm replacing the burner this weekend because its the only thing i can think of.With yours being a pioneer and mine being the same make and model ,i'm thinking chances are that its the burner.I guess we will see.
    Good Luck

18. marcomwa

marcomwa Member

Don't think it's your burner but if ya wanna waste money go for it
    Marco

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

has everyone got the latest frimware for the pioneer 106 ? and anyone tried a disc cleaner in drive to clean laser?

by the way i have the hacked firmware in mine v108

http://forum.rpc1.org/

20. ByteMstr

ByteMstr Member

As far as I've been able to determine in a couple of hours work, there appears to be some problem with NERO 6.6 from 6.6.0.8 onwards with Pioneer A06/106D, at least with the Gradius hacked 1.08 Firmware and also >NIL 1.07 hacked firmware. I've been unable to determine this with a standard firmware as this "wasn't an option".

6.6.0.6 and under will burn DVD's in ISO (data) mode fine, the verify will be successful and you will notice while the verify goes on that the reading spead steadily increases. Eject the disc and re-insert and the disc will be read fine by the Pioneer A06/106 with the hacked firmware.

6.6.0.8 and up will burn DVD's fine, the verify will be successful... but the speed during verify remains fixed at 4x! That's your sign of trouble. After the verify eject and re-insert... in Explorer it will just say "CD Drive" and the disc is unreadable (Incorrect function or something).

Take the DVD out and put it in a regular DVD-ROM or CDRW/DVD combo and it will read fine!