1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems ripping (cyclic redundancy error)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by fennin, Oct 7, 2004.

1. fennin

fennin Member

I just bought a sony dru-710a dual layer DVD burner a few weeks ago. Since then I have burned a bunch of data discs containing music as well as video for my archives. All of the music that I burned plays just fine when I play it directly from the disc and I have no problems when I copy the files to my hard drive for burning.
    I had a few DVD's saved on my hard drive that I burned as regular data discs. Now when I try to copy these *.vob files to my hard drive I get an error message saying, "cannot copy vts_01_1: data error (cyclic redundancy check)" It does not do this for every file - some of the files work just fine, but every single DVD that I burned contains at least one .vob file that will not copy. Sometimes I get a different error message saying "cannot copy vts_01_1: not a valid ms-dos function." I get the same errors when I read from my other dvd drive as well. I only have one DVD burner so I cannot test burn with another drive. Does anyone know what is causing my problem? Could it be a defective drive? Thanks in advance.

2. Bretto

Bretto Guest

I know scratched discs will give that error also if your DVD drive is playing up the same thing will happen.
    Sorry this probably doesnt help you much.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

It's your media. Your trying to rip dvd's you've burned, right?

Try cleaning them. Also what brand of media are they?

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you may also have a damaged vob which you may need to replace.

5. CEJ

CEJ Member

Hey Guys,

I have been reading this forum for some time now, and found many useful things.

However I seem to have the same problem as fennin.

The only difference is that my back ups are doing it every time in the very end of the DVD. – So I have no problems watching my back ups, but I can’t burn a copy of my back ups, because it can’t read the whole disc.

I just came to think a couple of seconds ago, that the "standard" size for Shrink it is 4464 right, but I seem to remember that ScubaPete wrote that you should manually enter 4300 instead.....

Maybe then it can read the whole disc. I use Verbatim, so the media shouldn't be the problem. And my DVD writer is a Lite-on LDW 811S with the newest firmware.

Think I will test it with 4300 instead of default size..... I will come back with a result in 40 min :) --> That was some long 40 min, but I have actually succeded in burning one disc that worked, so that I could burn a copy of a copy.

But it is fare from reliable...... Need advice....

Best Regards
    Carsten

Last edited: Oct 11, 2004