1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems shrinking TV Series....

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by julee1985, May 11, 2007.

1. julee1985

julee1985 Member

Been using Shrink for a long time all the sudden it won't shrink my TV DVDs for me. DVDDecrypter will decrypt them, as will DVDFAP and Ripit4me but it wont shrink. Tried everything. Shrink will begin to backup sometimes it makes it 40% sometimes 60% then crashes. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get error like Programming Exception Error... But most of the time my CPU just clicks off completely and reboots. I've never had this problem with tv dvds as I said until a few months back... Even reformatted my CPU thinking that could be problem. Some of the Shows I have issues with: The Shield Season 5, Sleeper Cell Season 2, The King of Queens Season 5... Any Ideas????

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

This is not a new problem with Shrink. Shrink chokes on some episodic DVDs. I'm thinking that the things just have a very high bitrate which is more than Shrink can cope with.

I imagine even the ones that do fit have compression rates <60% so the quality is probably suffering.

My suggestions...
    Use Verbatim DVD-9 double layer media.
    Or
    With Shrink, remove the menus and trim off the end credits. Usually each episode will have those. See if it will fit.
    Or
    Split the disc with Shrink, no menu.
    Split the disc with DVDFab Platinum and keep the menu.
    Split the disc with CloneDVD and keep the menu.

I don't have a fix for Shrink that works for these. You could try shrinking twice but that never seems to work.

I don't think you have a PC problem. See if Shrink can do this test on one of those DVDs you listed:
    Try setting the output size to something larger than a DVD-5, Try Custom > 7500 Mb. Burn target will have to be a folder. Shrink should be able to do this without crashing your PC.

One last very important thing to check.
    Remove the side cover from your PC and with a flashlight, look at your CPU heatsink and fan. Make sure it is nice and clean with out a lot of dirt, dust, cat/dog/human hair, feathers, mice nests or any other stuff in there. Try and look between the fins of the heatsink below the fan.
    If there is, take some canned air and blow it out. Don't spin the fan with the air. While you are at it, check the rest of the innards for dirt build up and blow it out. Turn it on with the side cover off and make sure all your case fans, power supply fan and cpu fans are turning.
    When working inside your PC be careful not to touch the circuit boards and try not to knock anything loose, like cables. Make sure the thing is unplugged when working inside.

Shrink is a cpu intensive program and sometimes an overheated cpu will cause problems. This will usually cause a blue or black screen crash and reboot, but it doesn't hurt to run it as cool as possible. It may need a good clean out anyhow.

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If it's not a heat problem, then you could split the original DVD over 2 SL DVDs and get a better compression rate. Just use Shrink in the reauthor mode and divide the episodes. Of course DL would be best but they are budget busters. There's not much on TV that I would waste one of those.

4. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Garmoon is correct but I would suggest something else that I find to work very well while keeping all the menus intact and working. Rip the episodic dvd to your HD, use VobBlanker to KEEP the first half of the episodes and BLANK out the second half. For example, if the dvd has 8 episodes, keep episodes 1-4 and blank out 5-8. While you're at it you can also blank out any previews and other junk. After you backup this way, use VobBlanker to do the same thing except BLANK out episodes 1-4 and KEEP 5-8. This way you can have all episodes divided into 2 SL discs (1 of 2 & 2 of 2) which help keep the cost down and you don't sacrifice any video quality. Then, there's no need to use Shrink, just burn the end result to 2 SL dvd's. I find it works great for the episodic dvd's and VobBlanker doesn't take a lot of time to do it's job either. You can label your discs like this: The King of Queens S4 D2 (1 of 2) and
    The King of Queens S4 D2 (2 of 2) meaning season 4 disc 2 having the first 4 episodes on (1 of 2) and the last 4 episodes on (2 of 2).

5. julee1985

julee1985 Member

thanks guys yeah i can use shrink to back up these disc as a DL DVD with no problems or issues. Also in reauthor mode I can take a few episodes and split them amongs 2 disc. Just didn't know if there was any quick solution for this issue.

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Just a little food for thought...you might want to consider DVD Rebuilder for your episodic DVD's. This is what I usually use because I'm able to keep the menus and special features and while the compression is high DVD-RB handles the disc very well and produced a high quality backup. It is a longer process than DVD Shrink and is typically best left to encode overnight, but the result is worth it.

7. julee1985

julee1985 Member

i tried rebuilder and i get the same problem where the cpu just clicks off and reboots itself. Could this be a memory issue or something???

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I like orion250's method using VobBlanker. It lets you keep the menus and it's free. Splitting will more than double the amount of time needed as well as doubling the number of blank DVDs. The quality will be so much better though.

Consider the price of two blank DVD-5s compared to a DVD-9, as well as storage convenience and the extra time needed to set up the split.

As far as Shrink being able to do these before but not now....
    Did you check and see if your CPU is overheating?

Something to try with Shrink after checking for an overheating cpu:

Try using Deep Analysis and see if that has any effect. It's supposed to more accurately predict the final size by doing two passes during the analysis. Normally this will allow less compression therefore improving quality. I'm thinking it may help fit a large set of video files into less room.... Something to try.

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i too like Orion250's method, thats how i did all my episode dvds, until i started using DVD-RB.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi 300,
    I'm just concerned that the PC in question has shut down with two different programs now. Could be a simple cpu overheat problem.

Even if you tried to compress 100 Gb onto a DVD-5 it shouldn't crash the computer. Yeah you'd get warnings, errors but it shouldn't shut the thing down...

Thought I'd run my thoughts by you and get your opinion.

Still waiting to se if julee has checked for dust bunnies in the heatsink.

@julee1985,
    If you don't want to open your case, you can always download a temperature monitoring program like SpeedFan or CoreTemp and see what they say.
    You can run these programs when running Shrink or RB and see what your cpu is doing.
    Post your temperatures and we can tell you if it's overheating or not.

Here is what SpeedFan says about my cpu while Shrink is working:

[​IMG]

Here is what CoreTemp looks like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  11. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

hello Frank,

yeah, its sure does sound like a CPU heat problem but the thing that throws me is sometimes she gets an error and the PC doesn't shut down although she said the doesn't happen a lot.

the best way to check is with speed fan like you said.

i think if julee1985, tries a regular dvd and the PC shuts off then more than likely its an overheat problem.

12. julee1985

julee1985 Member

okay thanks everyone for there help.... tried a regular movie dvd no problems, tried another tv series dvd and click it shut down. Opened up the case and filthy with dust and sh*t. did some compressed air blasting and bam already have shrunk 3 tv dvds and used dvd-rb a few times so it definately had to have been an overheat problem. thanks for the help

justin

13. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Here's a little info about backing up episodic dvd's using the following method that I posted on May 13. All episodic dvd's that I have backed up can be ripped with Dvd Decrypter by itself with no problems. It takes about 20 minutes to rip the full dvd. It takes about 5 minutes to process the first half of the dvd using VobBlanker and about 5 minutes to process the second half if you follow my instructions below. It then takes about 12 minutes to burn the first half of the episodes to a single layer dvd and about 12 minutes to burn the second half of the episodes to another single layer dvd. It takes less than an hour to process an episodic dvd from start to finish. If you use single layer dvd's, the cost is about 20 cents each X 2 if purchased in packs of 100 as opposed to a double layer dvd at about $1.50 - $2.00 each. I use Ripit4me on my movies but Dvd Decrypter will work by itself on the episodic dvd's. Follow the instructions below and you should have no problems.

*** Garmoon is correct but I would suggest something else that I find to work very well while keeping all the menus intact and working. Rip the episodic dvd to your HD, use VobBlanker to KEEP the first half of the episodes and BLANK out the second half. For example, if the dvd has 8 episodes, keep episodes 1-4 and blank out 5-8. While you're at it you can also blank out any previews and other junk. After you backup this way, use VobBlanker to do the same thing except BLANK out episodes 1-4 and KEEP 5-8. This way you can have all episodes divided into 2 SL discs (1 of 2 & 2 of 2) which help keep the cost down and you don't sacrifice any video quality. Then, there's no need to use Shrink, just burn the end result to 2 SL dvd's. I find it works great for the episodic dvd's and VobBlanker doesn't take a lot of time to do it's job either. You can label your discs like this: The King of Queens S4 D2 (1 of 2) and
    The King of Queens S4 D2 (2 of 2) meaning season 4 disc 2 having the first 4 episodes on (1 of 2) and the last 4 episodes on (2 of 2). ***

GO SUNS!!!!!!!