1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems trying to burn MPEG2 file to a DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by bcsman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. bcsman

bcsman Member

I am having some real problems so I'm here to ask the experts for help!! I have a DVB satellite card and burned a movie to my hard drive. It saved it in an MPEG2 format. It plays well on WinDVD but I'd like to save to a DVD. I have TMPGE DVD Author and was going to convert the MPEG2 file to DVD and burn it. However when I tried to add the file to author it I got these errors:

1) Video resolution 544 X 480 cannot be used for DVD.
    2) Video framerate 29.97 fps cannot be used with the resolution 544 X 480.
    3) Video bitrate 15000 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

So I found another program X Video Converter and did the trial version. It loaded the MPEG2 file and 6 hours later converted it to 3 files .mpg, .m2v, and .mpa. I then tried to load either of the .mpg or .m2v files in TMPEG and it gave me this error:

1) The video bitrate 29651 kbps is too high for standard DVD.

OK I've tried to do my research but obviously need some help. How do I convert this MPEG2 file to something I can burn on a DVD?? I think the resolution it's looking for in NTSC is 720 X 480. Would really appreciate your expertise here!! Thanks in advance!!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get VSO divx to DVD converter. It will also do mpg to mpg.
    Load the video, select "Force NTSC 4:3".
    Next time, set your capture device software to save at 720x480 @ 8000kbps max.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  3. bcsman

bcsman Member

Thanks for the advice!! I'll give that a try and report back how it works. By the way there is not way to set the DVB card recording options for resolution etc, so if I do much recording I'll be doing alot of authoring I guess!!

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, there are options to select the aspect and bitrate of your capture. If your current capture software DOESN'T, then change software.
    What is the exact make and model of your card?

5. bcsman

bcsman Member

I have a Skystar2 PCI DVB card I believe version 2.6. It's a software card as opposed to the hardware types such as the Haup. The software I'm using to watch is MyTheatre, RitzDVB, and DVBDream. I've looked in the setup and options of all three software programs and didn't see anything about changing bitrates or resolution.

By the way used your advice on the WinAVI program and it did a really great job!! Converted the MGEG2 file to VOB files and used Nero to burn to DVD. THanks for that lead!!

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

There should be something in one of those programs, to set the aspect ratio, or at least select NTSC or PAL.
    There should also be some sort of quality setting (bitrate), although it may only say low, medium or high...
    I'm just not familiar enough with DVB to help with that software.

7. bcsman

bcsman Member

Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure the hardware cards have that option, but haven't found anything on any option page that can change the recording settings on my software card.

But like I said, the WinAVI program works so well, it really doesn't matter. It does the whole converting into VOB files and even automatically opens Nero for me to burn--What a world!!