1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems w/ DVD-r backup using no solder

Discussion in 'PS2' started by skulhead2, Dec 29, 2002.

1. skulhead2

skulhead2 Guest

Okay I am having a copuple issues.... I am using Nero and making DVD-r copies. It copies fine but I can not seem to get them to play correctly. I have a no solder mod and the gameshark 2.2. (BTW I can play CD copies fine) I've tried to boot it with using Cry for Dawn (original) as my TOC disk and when I switch in my copy (yes I hold it for the light change as well) it just sits there and doesnt seem to recognize the disk. I started to do some research and found the "Dave Mirra" trick. The Problem is that I can not get that to work either. I get up to the point where I have to confirm the "to many codes" error and my system freezes up. For some reason I can not hit x or o to confirm the error and it sits at that screen. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.

Skulhead2

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I think (if I where you) I allready gone CRAZY by swapping and trying (that s*cks).

Get yourself a real modchip !!
    Buy the Messiah or the Magic modchip and your days of swapping are over (no more pain in the head anymore) !!!!

3. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Haha, wizkid said pain in the head. Hey Wiz, lets double team everyone with no solder chips. You say "they suck, get a real modchip." I say "Aha, I sell those real modchips, and at a good price too." Hey skull, I sell Magic 3.1s(the latest and greatest Magic mods).

4. skulhead2

skulhead2 Guest

Actually I figured it out and my backups are now working great. It had to do with the media I was burning to. I'm now using Maxell disc with the blue backs and it works great (plus 10 for 30.00 isnt to bad). The other disks I had been using were silver on the back and for some reason the ps wouldnt read them.

5. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

They had a lower reflectivity and just didn't get along with your laser.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Buy a real modchip.

7. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Muuusssst reeeesist.

8. Dela

buy a stress ball!

9. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

I need something that makes me money to keep me from advertising, it's tough.

10. Dela

Well am you basically are already with your sig lol.

Type a guide on ps2 copying and throw it on a p2p network put your site down as a reliable purchasing source!

11. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Haha, good idea. I'm not much of a game copier.

12. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Haha, good idea. I'm not much of a game copier.

13. Dela

Hye whats with the double post lol just kiddin!

It works, I threw up one on makin money and put adverts all over b4 and i made a nice bit of money and then the file just disappeared afetr a while. But thats off topic i was just saying

*Jumps back on topic!*

14. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

to skulhead2:
    Yes it's (sometimes) better to use CD-r with a dark backsite.
    For CD based copies I use Parrot CD-r with a black backsite. I gives me no probs.
    The laser seems to read these dark sided CD's better than silver backsided Cd's.

15. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

The dark media has better reflectivity.

16. chris777

chris777 Guest

I have a question on this same topic.

I have no-solder mod on v5 w/ Swap Magic 2.0, and most games work a-ok except Baldur's Gate, and Hitman 2.

I've posted here and on another board, and they said that Ritek Datasafe's are the best media to use for PS2, but they aren't available in the US (that I have found).

Any other suggestions?

17. Dela

Ye datasafe are pretty cool but you said you've had success with all but 2 games. This means that the ps2 can read whatever media you are using.

Unfortunately thios is the problem with no solder mods. They fail to boot a lot of games and I'd say this is the problem that you have here. Thats why I never suggest that someone buys a no solder modchip because In the end it will just be a waste of money!

18. jplamb

jplamb Member

For those "get a real mod chip" comments.

A lot of people buy the non solder chips because they don't know how to solder and don't want to risk destorying the PS2 so using the swap disc is good enough for them. Oh, and because they didn't give into Supleh's ads in every thread on the board ;)

19. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I guess everyone knows why the no solder modchip is on the market. (NO solder - aha).

The disadvantages are the swapping and as Dela_ mentioned earlier that a bunch of games (DVD copies) won't boot strange enough.

20. Supleh2

Supleh2 Guest

Cute ;)

When you guys are tired of swapping, or your new favorite game isn't playable using it, I'll still be here, been here strong and kicking for four years, not much that's gonna get me to go.