1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems when installing ram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by B1gDRock, Feb 24, 2007.

1. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

i have a dell dimension 2400 and i am trying to upgrade it. it only has 256mb worth of ram in it so its pretty slow. i bought a 400mHz 1GB ram and i wanted to use this with the original ram. when i put it in the computer though, it wont start up. i'll turn on the pc and at the very begining, when the BIOS is loading i think, the loading bar just stops. i dont know what to do. please help.

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

sounds like the ram isn't compatible.

try running with just the one gig stick. it seems your old ram is only pc2100 or pc2700 (conflicting sources), so your ram will not run at 400 MHz anyway with the old stick.

if the pc won't run with just the one gig stick by itself, try a bios update next.

3. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

ya it does the same thing with just the 1gig stick only. a bios update? should i go to dell.com for that?

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yupps. sounds like you must be trying to run ram that's too fast for your current bios. if there's no update that gives compatibility with your ram, you're SOL without a new motherboard and need to buy some clocked down ram.

5. B1gDRock

B1gDRock Regular member

i found my prob. the slots can only handle up to 512mb. thanks anyways