1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems when splitting DVD-9 where the main movie VOB files are not VTS_01_X.VOB

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ranger5, Sep 10, 2002.

1. ranger5

ranger5 Guest

I have been using the below method to rip and burn DVD movies and until now it has worked fine. I don't have any problems burning movies that will fit onto a single DVD-R. I have also managed to burn movies that require splitting over 2 DVD-Rs.

I have found that wherever the VOB files are of the form VTS_01_X.VOB I am able to successfully split and burn the movie. However, if the VOB files are not of this form, say VTS_02_X.VOB, I am unable to burn the movie successfully.

Can someone please help me out? I've read through a lot of the postings on this forum but am unable to find an answer. I should mention that I am unable to copy any additional files from the original DVD since I no longer have it (I hope this doesn't mean i'm screwed).

My Method...

I have ripped the movie part of the DVD to my harddisk using DVD Decrypter, so that I end up with...

RIPPED DVD
    ----------
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    VTS_02_3.VOB
    VTS_02_4.VOB
    VTS_02_5.VOB
    VTS_02_6.VOB
    VTS_02_7.VOB

Then I open VTS_02_0.IFO in IFOEdit and click on 'VOB Extras'. I enable the Split to 2 DVD-Rs option and set the destination directories and then click 'OK'. Next on Stream list I go with the layer changeover as the split point and click 'Split It'. On the next screen I strip the subtitles and click 'Strip It'. Then I check all the VOB files and click 'Strip It'.

After IFOEdit has done creating new VOB files I end up with...

DISC 1
    ------
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB

DISC 2
    ------
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    VTS_02_3.VOB

I select each of the two new IFO files in IFOEdit and click 'Get VTS Sectors'. I then exit IFOEdit and open it again, this time I click on 'Create IFOs' and create VIDEO_TS files for disc 1 and 2 from the VOB files. Finally I end up with this...

DISC 1
    ------
    VIDEO_TS_IFO
    VIDEO_TS_BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB

DISC 2
    ------
    VIDEO_TS_IFO
    VIDEO_TS_BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    VTS_02_3.VOB

Then using Nero, which i've used successfully before, I attempt to write both DVD-Rs. The first disc writes without any error messages but there seems to be a problem during playback when attempting to skip backwards through the movie (it skips forwards instead). The second disc refuses to write, Nero gives the error message 'Required file VTS_01_1.VOB is not present'. Please help!!!

2. cool_far

cool_far Guest

on disk 2, you need to put the following file
    vts_01_0.vob and video_ts.vob
    for it to work.

that what i used to get my disk 2 working.

3. KamtheMan

KamtheMan Member

Same problem...maybe being stupid....

where do you get these files. the original dvd or the ripped files???

cheers, kam.

4. ranger5

ranger5 Guest

I think you have to copy these files from the DVD when you rip the movie. DVD Decrypter doesn't do this automatically, so if you no longer have the DVD you're screwed. If anyone knows how to get round this, please reply!!!

5. nesteaboy

nesteaboy Guest

You guys should choose to rip ALL the files when using DVD Decrypter File Mode. Once you split the main movie into 2 separate directories, copy VIDEO_TS.* to each and every VTS_0X_Y that is required to each.

To figure out which VTS_0X_Y is required, click DVD Play in IfoEdit. When you get to the main movie, quit and it'll show you which VTS_0X_Y has been used.

6. connor

connor Guest

There is a much simpler foolproof way of doing this. Rip using any ripper and make sure you have the VTS_01_0.IFO . If the VOB files are not 01 ie its 03 or o5 rename them to VTS_O1_X.VOB. Open VTS_01_0.IFO and split movie. Then load IFOedit on its own and Creat IFO files (do this on both sets of VOB files). You can do any clean up (removing unwanted VOB ID, subtiles etc) after this. Dont forget Get VTS sectors before burning.