1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with 23.976 fps

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nrosrgn, Sep 12, 2004.

1. nrosrgn

nrosrgn Guest

I have been working the last week on trying to figure out how to author a dvd at 23.976fps. Seems most authoring tools only recognize 29.97 NTSC and 25 PAL as standard formats. I really want to avoid converting the audio framrate to 25fps and would much like to keep it at 23.976. I've searched in guides, authoring tools, and more. I'm at a loss.

I don't know what the original source was and I do not know how to tell to be honest. Below is a partial list of what I have been doing to date:

1. Extract the .wav from the source video using virtual dub
    2. Convert to VCD using tmpgenc using source video and extracted wav
    3. Use tmpgenc dvd author

Now the above worked when my source was already 25fps and I authored a DVD with MPEG-1 files (I just ignored the GOP length error works fine). I want to do the same with the 23.976 fps sources since most the video I have is 23.976 - I don't care if it's PAL or NTSC format when done, I can play both from my apex.

Can anybody offer any assistance or have any tricks to get around this problem?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The trick to using 23.976fps video on a DVD is to add pulldown flags. That makes a player read the video at 29.97fps (with duplicated fields) so it's DVD compliant. I've never tried it with MPEG-1 files, but assuming it can be done with the same programs that work for MPEG-2, you should Google for either Pulldown.exe or DoPulldown.

3. nrosrgn

nrosrgn Guest

*snaps fingers* Yeah I tried that using TMPGenc and that whole do not frame rate conversion (which I don't understand at all). Didn't work on MPEG-1 files. Maybe it's not supposed to *shrug* I'll give those to proggys a shot and then switch over to going to MPEG-2.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

as i know you can't add 3:2pulldown tag to mpeg1 ? at least not in tmpeg

what you can do is make it into mpeg2 for svcd.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Mpeg1 files do not Support Pulldown Flags....

You could Encode the Mpeg1 file to Mpeg2 at the same resolution and Framerate and then use "DoPulldown" to add the Pulldown flags and then author it to DVD....

When I made VCD"s I knew in the Future i was going to back them up to DVD so i used Mpeg2 on all of My VCD"s which made it a Lot easier to Back them up to DVD.....

6. nrosrgn

nrosrgn Guest

well i've magaged to get mpeg1 vcd files authored to a dvd, but they were already 25 fps anyway so i just made them pal, threw them into my authoring prog, and viola! i've been messing with dopulldown - good program :) i think i've pretty much worked my bugs out :) thanks folks!