1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with a recently Modded PS2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dabbler77, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

I just installed a Magic V modchip on my Version 3 PS2 and it doesn't play my PS2 Back-ups. Everything else works fine (ie. Original DVD games, DVD movies, PS1 original and back-ups) except for DVD back-ups. I keep getting the red screen with the "please insert a playstation or playstation 2 format disk" sign.

I'm just wondering if it's the modchip or it has something to do with how I burn the DVDs. I've used Nero 6.0.0.0, DVD Descrypter, and Alchol 120% to both back-up and burn the games but it just doesn't work. Although the PS2 CD back-ups work fine.

So is it the modchip (modchip.com says it's only compatible with V5-V8 PS2), is it the software, is it the medium (I've used both Maxell 4X dvd-r and an OEM brand called AN31) or is it the burner (I have an LG GSA 4040B DVD burner)?

I think it's the modchip, but if that's true why can I play back-up CD's?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

for full use of the chip it has to be modded into v5-9... the older versions dosent work well with it EVEN if the chip works... as you see it dosent boot dvd's... quite a shame and quite old ps2 aswell :O

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The copy protection on CD based PS2 games isn't as difficult to correct as is on the DVD based games. And it's even easier to fix for the PS1 games. This is the first instance I've heard of someone trying to install one into an older unit as how they are not officially compatible with any unit below v5 and require a special version for the v9 and v10 consoles. Your only options are to either get a new PS2 which actually is compatible with a wider range of writable media, or install a Magic 3.1 chip. Magic 3.1 chips work perfect with no issues what so ever in the older units. I'm actually amazed that you got the SCEX wire connect on that older unit being on the other side of the motherboard. Never heard of someone getting an older machine apart enough to install it.

4. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

You could also try burning Verbatim Datalife Plus DVD-R's at 1x and see if they work. Might be a media issue.

5. Dabbler77

Dabbler77 Member

I'm beginning to think that it's a problem with the DVD-R's because my friend tried it on his PS2 (don't know what modchip but it requires a Gameshark) and it doesn't work, just spins continuously.

I think I'll try the Verbatim Datalife Plus DVD-R's.

Anyone know were to get them in Canada? Futureshop.ca doesn't seem to have them, just something called a "Verbatim movie pack" or something.