1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Battlefield_1942.cd1.flt.sharereactor (please read)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by raiden20, Jul 20, 2003.

1. raiden20

raiden20 Member

Hi. I am considering purchasing battlefield 1942, and I decided that rather than buy it and not be pleased, I would download it first to see if I might like it. I downloaded the above file (and it's counterpart; cd2), and I carried out the steps for installing them. I burned it to a disc using nero, and then ran the disk as normal, and tried installing it. At 2%, I got the error 'specified component cannot be found in the media. An attempt was made to access a component that does not exist in the named media', while installing the file 'treemess.rfa'. I tried it a few times, and each time, it did this. I read on some posts here, and got some ideas. I got CdMage, and ran through both .bin files, and cleaned up corruption errors. On the first disc, there were 6 errors, all of which I repaired except for one, which couldn't be (also happened to be the first error found; medium severity). I rebuilt (?) that one, and it told me it was fixed. I then reburned the .bin, and tried it again, and it did the same thing. I then read a method which uses Alcohol 120. I downloaded the trial of that, and began this method, in which I burned the .bin with alcohol, and I put on securedisk2, and burned it as a RAW/DAO (?). After that, I put it in my burner tray, ran alcohol in the system tray (background), and tried installing the game once more, and yet it did the same thing. I would really like to try this game out to avoid possibly wasting my money (if I don't like it). Also, now I am kind of interested in all of this burning stuff, and I would like to solve this problem, and learn about it. If someone has had experience with this file, or can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

err... some of the errors cannot be properly corrected with CDMage... at least that is the case when you have more serious errors...

If you are really desparate, you can hack together a semi-fix by just copy-pasting another .RFA file and calling it treerness.rfa. That may let you burn/install the game and run it but obviously something is gonna be a little different about the trees ;-)

3. raiden20

raiden20 Member

lol, thanks man. I might try downloading it again and see if that works, but for now, I'm gonna try your fix. One more question though. The data files are kept in, and extracted from a .cab file. How can I open that up to add another file, or even to look at all the files in it? I tried winzip, winrar, windows command line 'extract *.cab', and another program that supposedly extracts .cab's. Any ideas?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Did you enable emulation? (ignore media type) and play your backup in your burner? Burn the files [bold] slow at 8x RAW DAO [/bold] m8.

Shoey :)

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

WinRAR should be able to open it. A thought: perhaps the file is just CALLED .CAB (much like my suggestion earlier lol) and really is something else?