1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with burner speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jamesy_g, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

Can anyone help, I have a Compaq laptop with an Emperx external DVD player (16x speed) and when I try and back up DVD's using Nero it only burns at 1.3x. Its taking over 40 mins to burn 4GB worth of data!

I have tried different types of media but all are the same. I really dont have a clue why it only burns at this speed. CD's work fine..

When I put a disc into nero, it say the burn speed will be (say 4x) and when i click onto burn it says it will only take 14mins to burn, then 40 mins later it finishes.!!

The laptop does not have USB 2.0 ports, so I bought a USB 2.0 card to slot into the computer.. The burner is connected by USB 2.0.

anyone have any ideas?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Burning a dvd uses most of your system resources. Your speed looks like you are burning through USB 1 but you stated you have the UBS 2 card. First make sure it has the proper driver for the card. Next check to see what you have running in the background at startup (Anti Virus etc.) Check for spyware or adware that may be using resources. Don't try using the PC for anything else while burning. Shut down everything but the burning program. Hope this helps up your speed.

Jerry

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Also check to be sure the burner is in DMA or UDMA (Ultra DMA) and not PIO mode. To be honest I don't know if this is even a characteristic in external burners. Sorry if I'm sending you on a wild goose chase.

4. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

I formatted the hard disc and only put Nero on the system, and started to burn a disc, again it took 40 minutes. I had a look at the processor and it was only using around 26% of it process speed

Do you think its the laptop its self? Because in effect the external burner is going through a third party (the USB 2.0 card)its slowing the data transfer down?

I'm pulling what's left of my hair out at this one !!

5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Since you can burn CDs OK via the same route, it looks like a data transfer rate limitation.

Your USB2.0 adapter is probably Cardbus, and this interface is theoretically capable of 130MB/sec in both directions. Are you using WinXP? I seem to remember that there were problems with some PCI to Cardbus bridges and Win98SE and ME.
    It would be a good thing to check the manufacturer's website and see if there are any software updates for your model.

6. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

I have windows XP, the USB card is a Belkin hi-speed USB 2.0 notebook card, it has two 480Mbps ports.
    There are no updates for the card..

Any ideas?

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

jamesy_g,
    Have you tried to hook up the external to another computer and give it a try. This could help rule out some of the possibilities.

Also to make sure your card is really running in USB 2.0 go to device manager and check the properties it should say something along the lines of "Enhanced USB"

Another option is to update the firmware for your drive.

Have you tried to burn with other proggys besides Nero to rule that out as being a possibility?

8. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Well, burning externally via USB is never good idea at the best of times, and you have the extra complication of a Cardbus controller in the chain, so I suppose it's not surprising you're having problems.

If you look through this forum you will find threads from people who cannot burn externally via USB at all, and they're using standard desktop PCs, so at least you're not in that boat.

As DVD burn quality generally improves as burning speed is lowered, you can always take comfort in the thought that your 1.3x burns are probably excellent quality ;o)

Just a thought, do you see lots of buffer under-runs during your burns?

9. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

The burners firmware is up-to-date, I have tried to burn with dvd shrink and copytodvd, both take an age to burn.
    I did try the burner in a mates laptop, he wanted to burn some music onto a dvd (3gigs worth), it only to about 8 minutes to burn that.

By the look of card's properties its working fine..

10. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Hmm, just thinking, you say your laptop does not have USB 2.0 ports, I think USB 2.0 became available around the start of 2000. Just how old is this laptop, is it's processor/chipset/memory/HD up to the transfer rates for fast DVD burning?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you sure? Does it say "Enahanced USB" sounds like you may be running a USB 2.0 device off of a USB 1 card or controller..

12. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

bbmayo mate -- In the Device manager it says 'standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller'..

the laptop is only 1 year old..

Stats
    Compaq Presario 2100
    AMD Athlon XP2600+ 1.99 GHz
    448 MB of ram
    40 GB hard disc

I am going to try and install the drivers again..

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have been burning externally via USB for quite a while now and have yet to experience a problem. Just as long as it's USB2.0 you should be fine unless there's some other problem with your system.

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

jamesy_g ,
    Try hooking your Burner up to Parallel IEEE 1284 (Firewire) just rule out the possibility of your USB. When you hooked it up at your friends computer did you use the same cords (USB)?

15. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

bbmayo
    When I hooked it up to my mates computer, it was the same cables etc..
    I dont have a Parallel IEEE 1284, so I'll have to go and buy one..
    I read somewhere that a gold USB 2.0 is faster transferring data then the standard cable, will I buy one of them?

cheers mate

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

The most important thing with the cable's is to get the shortest one possible. Gold would be better yes, but not that much faster..

17. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

I'll buy one over the weekend and I'll get back to you mate.
    Cheers for all your great advise

18. jamesy_g

jamesy_g Member

Hi
    I could not find a Parallel IEEE 1284 cable anywhere, so I bought a gold USB cable instead, but again the burner only burns just over 1 speed.
    I think my computer just doesn't like burning anything faster than 1 speed!!.

If you have any other ideas it would be great.

Cheers

19. zorro2407

zorro2407 Guest

I never had a problem with any burner before....
    until i loaded up the latest emprex 16x internal.
    It wouldn't surprise me if you needed to undate the drive firmware you have.
    I found 10 updates for the emprex firmware once I experienced problems.
    Sounds like a drive with lots of issues.I replaced it with an LG 16X....
    No Problems since....