1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with burning cd-roms

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Baltasar, May 20, 2004.

1. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

After I formatted my laptop and installed XP Pro (instead of XP Home from the manufacturer), my cd-burner (Samsung CD-RW/DVD SN-342B) failed to create any succesfull cd's. Everytime I burn a cd, i get the message the cd has succesfully burned, but i can never read the cd in any cd-player/burner. When viewing the cd, it says: Available: 0 byte, Capacity: 0 bytes. I tried to burn the cd's with Alcohol 120% (version 1.4.8 and 1.9.2) and Nero 5.5. I allready installed the newest drivers for the cd-burner and windows.
    All comments/suggestions/ideas are welcome to help me solve this problem. ;)

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Make sure ide settings are dma. Maybe update your aspi layer.

3. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

I have updated my aspi layer (how can i see my ide settings?). Next i burned a cd-rw and everthing went fine and i was able to read the cd. But after that i burned a cd-rom, with same data as the cd-rw, and got the same problem that i wasn't able to read the cd again.

4. flip218

control panel --> system icon --> Hardware --> Device Manager. Click the + that says IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. There should be 3. Right click Primary IDE, then click properties, then advanced settings. Your current transfer mode should say DMA if available, and on both devices. Then repeat on Secondary IDE. Every so often windows will switch it to pio. After reboot, and give it a try.

5. flip218

and which aspi layer did you update to? Adaptec ASPI v4.71.2 or ForceASPI 1.7?

6. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

I checked my ide settings, and at the primary IDE it said:
    Device 0:
    Transfer mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1:
    Current Transfer mode: Not applicable

Secundary IDE:
    Device 0:
    Current Transfer mode: [bold]PIO-mode[/bold]

Device 1:
    Current Transfer mode: Not applicable

As you can see it sais at the secondary PIO-mode, but how can i change that?
    Also, i installed Adaptec ASPI v4.6 i think with this guide from Praetor: http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI

Edit:
    here some screenshots of the problems and the secondary IDE:
    http://www.kevinkoree.web1000.com/screenshot1.jpg - a cd i burned
    http://www.kevinkoree.web1000.com/screenshot2.jpg - same cd, viewed with Nero 5
    http://www.kevinkoree.web1000.com/screenshot3.jpg - the secondary IDE (in dutch tho...)

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  7. flip218

Baltasar, try going back into your IDE settings again. where it says current transfer mode, switch to pio, click ok, close window. Now go back in and change it back to dma if available, click ok, then close windows. Then reboot. After reboot check to see if it did change to dma(should be dma 2). If not you might try uninstalling the driver, reboot and letting windows reinstall the driver.

Also download Adaptec's ASPI v4.71.2
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/aspi.cfm

Just unzip it. It will create a folder "adaptec" in you C drive. In that folder click aspi, then aspichk. ASPICHK is a program that will show you which drivers its installed. If you did ForceASPI all will say 4.60

8. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

Well, reinstalled the driver for the secundary IDE, and finally it stated Ultra DMA Mode 2 :D So checked my ASPI, and found out i have 4.60. Next i tried to burn a cd, and finally it WORKED!!! So I hope everthing is solved now and I can't thank you enough Flip!!

Baltasar

9. flip218

glad I could help. also just a heads up, sometimes windows will automatically switch you back to pio. so if you have problems again check the ide settings first.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  10. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

Well, I was able to burn and read one cd correctly (burned an iso file with nero), but now i try to burn a cd again (an cue file with nero) and got the same problem, only this time i'm only not able to view the data, i see tho that the cd is written (it says "for example" Available: 325 mb, Capacity: 325 mb.)
    Checked the ide settings and all seems fine... So, do you (or someone else) got any more ideas??

11. flip218

12. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

Well, burned the same cd succesfully on a other computer/burner using the same nero and same bin/cue files... So i'd say it's my burner that's wrong...
    Could it be the hardware?? (or cd's? tried 2 different cd's tho..)

13. flip218

I would try to uninstall, reboot, and re-install nero on the computer that is giving you problems.

14. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

First of all, sorry for not awnsering for some time, had some busy days...
    But I reinstalled nero 5.5 and burned a iso file. It worked out again :D. BUT secondly i burned a bin/cue file with nero and again it failed :(. Is this because it's a different file or do i have to reinstall nero again?

15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Check the BIN/CUE for corruption (and to avoid ambiguity, when you burn a BIN/CUE, you are actually burning the BIN rather than the CUE)
    To check/repair a BIN file, first make a backup and then open it using a free program called CDMage (available from http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html ) by dragging and dropping either the BIN or the CUE file onto the CDMage window. If you happen to use the BIN file for whatever reason, a little menu will present itself asking you for how to interpret the file. Simple trial and errror will get you past this. Now that you have the BIN open, select Scan for Corruption from the Action menu and scan the entire image. When the scan is complete, select any errors, and repair them. Note that this repair functionality is not perfect and you may end up with an even more damaged image (which is why you should make a backup first). You cannot repair ISO files.

2. Your CUE file may not be appropriate for the type of BIN file you have.
    If you require a CUE file for one reason or another, you can grab a CUE Creator from http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/download.htm . Simply specify the input BIN file and the output CUE file (don't forget the .CUE extension!) and click Create.

3. Try burning slower -- burning is a more delicate task then many people realize and sometimes burning slower may just be the trick.

16. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

Ok, finally i managed to make some time to check the bin file and found out that it had no errors. Secondly i checked my cue file and that one is correct too. So next i tried to burn the cd using nero again and writing at only 8 speed (in stead of 24 speed). After some time the cd was finally finished burning and i checked the cd... Again i couldn't read the data and said: available: 257 mb, total capacity: 257 mb.... :(
    Well, are there any other options for me to try and hopefully get my cd-burner working again?? Does it matter when i reinstall windows?

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  17. Praetor

18. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

I tried to download the patch mentioned in the first link, but couldn't install it because the version of the patch is older than the current installed patch (service pack 1?). I must say the problem mentioned there is exactly the one i experience. :(

19. Praetor

Ok try this (and use a RW so you dont keep wasting discs!)

1. Burn a bunch of data as you would normally
    2. Nero finishes and pops up a box, click Ok. Then click Discard.
    3. The Drive should be ejected.
    4. Before you do anything else (i.e., close Nero), close that disc drive.
    5. Wait for the thing to spin up, cancel any autoruns. Close nero
    6. Pop the disc and try to read it again

This was a wierd ritual i had to do with one of my burners once otherwsie i couldnt read it on another machine, might help you.

20. Baltasar

Baltasar Member

Burned the rw using a bin/cue file (the same i used for several times) with your method, but had the same problem. :( I must say tho, when i tried to erase the rw (with the quick method) it still said total capacity: 257 mb. So I had to erase the whole rw before i was able to see it is a 700 mb rw...