1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with burning with both nero and roxio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xsinbadx, Jan 6, 2004.

1. xsinbadx

xsinbadx Member

My objective is to take individual chapters off of different dvd's and compile them on to one. I used smart ripper to rip the individul chapters off of the original dvds ( by the way the individual chapters are music videos). I then imported the vob files into roxio 6 dvd builder, and created a new dvd. The problem is roxio encodes the individual chapters again and this makes the quality of the audio and video to go down noticeably. I then tried to use the vob's in nero 6. the problem there is that some of the vob's have the same name. So i tried renaming them with different numbers and now nero says some of the videos did not pass the dvd compliance. i tried to burn it anyway and it burned a data disc with vob files on it. need help. is there any way to burn with roxio without re encoding or do i use nero but how do i combat the problem with the vob's named the same. Please help.

2. xsinbadx

xsinbadx Member

can someone help me please

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya xsinbadx,

Here is ONE method for doing it, other people will give you other methods (watch out for the zealots, for whom there is only THE ONE TRUE WAY! <grin>).

This method is a basic guide, using basic tools.

You will need:
    [bold]A Ripper:[/bold] I recommend DVDDecrypter as a good, simple starter tool.
    [bold]IFOEdit.
    A compressor/transcoder:[/bold] I use DVD2One, alternatives are Shrink etc.
    [bold]An Authoring Program:[/bold] I suggest TMPGEnc DVD Author.

1 - rip the chapters you want (VOBS ONLY), each chapter to a different directory.
    2 - run IFOEdit, create IFO's, select ONE of the directories - when created, Get VTS sectors, quit.
    3 - repeat step 2 for each directory holding ripped VOBs.
    4 - run TMPGEnc DVD Author, Create new project.
    5 - add dvd video, point to directory.
    6 - repeat step 5 for each directory.
    7 - create menu structure.
    8 - output to hard-drive volume.

If you need to compress the result, use DVD2One or the utility of your choice.

Test, then burn.

This is obviously simplified

It works....

4. xsinbadx

xsinbadx Member

thanks for the advice. I'll try it and let you know if it worked.

5. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

You might want to try Nero Recode instead of the DVD-Video job in Nero Burning ROM and dragging over the VOB files. (Sounds like what you were doing. That won't work since not only will the file names be the same or renamed as you tried, but, the .IFO control files won't be valid anymore as the file names and sizes have changed.) Recode has an option specifically for building a DVD from contents of multiple DVD's. It's only drawback is, as far as I see, that the contents must play in order, 1 title after the next, since importing the menus won't do any good. You'll have different DVD menus, and, if you import the Menus, each screen just plays 1 after the other in the final DVD. In future, Recode may make another extension where you can create rudimentary menus, like Panasonic DMR-Ex recorders do, or apps like MyDVD.

6. xsinbadx

xsinbadx Member

Is Nero recode another program or is that in nero 6. Don't recall seeing a recode in nero 6.

7. dbminter

dbminter Regular member

"Nero 6" is actually a generic name for a wide range of programs. Nero 6 can consist of Nero Burning ROM 6, Cover Designer, ImageDrive, CD/DVD Speed, etc. Go by Nero.com and under Updates for Nero 6, there are 4 separate downloads you can get. Nero Recode is part of one of those packages, #2, I believe. Recode is pretty new, coming out of beta in December.