1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with copying a DVD-R with Fast DVD copy

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by kamaferro, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

I am an eMac Superdrive user, using FAst DVD copy for first time. My home DVD player cannot read DVD-R discs but when I try to see movies copied by a friend of mine with a PC, then even if are copied on a DVD-R disc, my home player can read the.

Also my player can read many of the copies DVD movies we bought when living in Asia. No problems.

All this is quite strange, because when I copy with Fast DVD copy, using same type of disc my home player cannot read it.

How this can be ?

Is there anything to set in FAst DVD copy application ?

I read in their website that this application can only use DVD-R. IS that the reason and why other DVD-R can be read ?

Hope somebody can solve this problem, because I don't want to buy a new video system just for this.

Thanks

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Go buy 2 or 3 different brands of DVD-R media. Just a few of each. Burn some moves will all of them and see which ones work on your player. Then use those! It sounds like a media brand issue to me.

3. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

I will follow your suggestion to buy different brand of DVD-R. The one I used for a trial is a VERBATIM 4 x DVD-R 4.7 gb.

My friend uses always this brabd of discs and no problem in reading in his player. The one he did for me could be read in my home player.

This is what I don't understand. I believe is not a disc problem, maybe the Fast DVD copy software, which seems to work perfectly with other users or the Mac.

I all DVD-R cannot be read by my home player, is understandable because the instructions say: this player cannot read DVD-R discs.

But some can be read.

Could be also worthwile to use DVD2oneX, Toast, to see if it works ?

Thanks for your help

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

You can tell if it is your burner if you just use toast to make a copy of one of your friends' dvd-r copies. Just use the disc image feature to make a copy of one.

You could also try something other than fastdvdcopy. Can you try to burn at a different speed? Try that too.

5. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

Could you explain how to copy with Toast, do I have to use other programs as well ? Or just Toast ?

"Just use the disc image feature to make a copy of one"

How do you do this ? Sorry but I am just new to all these things, slowly will study and understand.

IF I try to burn at different speed, which speed less than automatic set up of speed by application ( let's say at 4) ?

Do I have to try still with Fast DVD copy at different speed ?

The problem is that I will wait many discs, using RW, I don't think can be read by my home player.

If DVD player supposing cannot read RW discs also, copying a DVD even with RW format will it be able to read it, juts because is a copy or makes a difference again as a type of disc ?

Thanks

6. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

I forgot to mention:

.VOB compression parameters, what is that and how to check ?

Thanks

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

You can't use RW's in your player. You need to use -R.

Take one of your friends DVD-Rs and put it in your computer. Quit dvd player if it loads up. You can copy the disc to your hard drive just like you'd copy anything else. Then you can load up toast and select under the data/advanced tab: DVD-Rom (UDF). Drag your root DVD folder onto toast and inside should be your VIDEO_TS. Burn it.

OR you can do a DISC IMAGE with toast. With the disc in the burner, select COPY in toast. You should see your disc title in the copy window. Then go under file/save as disc image. This will create an image file of the disc on your hard drive. Then in toast you can select "image file" and copy from the image file to a new blank DVD-R.

8. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

Thanks.

Before proceeding, I tested the DVD I copied with a friend's DVD player, and it can be seen, no problem.

I must clarify that that DVD player specifies that can read DVD-R discs, not my player though. So it's abvious that can be read, but at least we can assume that Fast DVD copy application and burner are working ok.

So what you suggest to do at this stage, proceed with another program as you suggested or is a DVD player problem ?

In this case, why it can read other copied DVDs ? That is what we are trying to establish.

Thanks for your patience and time

Ferro

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

It is your player.

Are you using the same media? Pretty sure it's your player.

10. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

I am using the same disc I burned. This is what I have been explaining since the beginning. IF is my player why it can read all my copied DVD bought in Asia, plus my friend copied using a PC, that is what I don't understand. In this case the same player should be able to read what I burn, isn'it ?

Thanks

11. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Hmm. Perhaps the region codes are different. That is about
    all I can think of at this point.

OR perhaps you are going back and forth between PAL and
    NTSC?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  12. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

You will not believe what suddenly happened yesterday.

I had this player since 2001 a Panasonic DVD Stereo System SC-PM08. It was bought when I was living in Singapore, so is area 3. When I moved to Italy 2 years ago, by our surprise we noticed that was able to read all the area2 DVDs and not area 3 anymore, Very strange. We said maybe a miracle because we were in area 2 and was a good thing to happen.

Last night out of the blue, trying to see a movie area 2, the system says unable to read this disc wrong area. I was shocked.

Now I don't know what to do, nobody will buy because we are in area 2 and maybe I will be forced to buy a new system. I cannot believe.

Are you aware of any site where I can find info. and suggestions maybe to arrive to a solution and modify the area. I don't know. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Ferro

PS when you mwntioned Pal and NTSC, I have only PAl.

The area code should not be a problem in copied discs, isnt'it ?

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

The region could WILL be a problem unless you set your ripping software to disable it or make it region free.

14. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

But using Fast DVD copy ther isn't an option to disable or make region free.

Do you know any website to get some info. about how to change region in a home player, if that is possible. What happened to me is quite strange, what is your opinion ?

Ciao

15. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I'd just get your hands on DVDBackup1.3 or Mac The Ripper and a compression utility: either dvd2onex or dvdremaster.

With that stuff your region code nightmares will go away and you'll be able to play them on any machine with any region code!

16. kamaferro

kamaferro Member

Thanks. Do I have to use also Toast ?

I understand that copying all the area code erased and no problem buyt I was asking you if you know of any website to see if anybody could help in how to modify area code for a home player. As explained my home player supposed to read only area 3 but strangely read also area 2 but suddenly went bck to area 3. SOmebody told me that he could be possible to modify areas with some remote control or else adjustments.

Thanks for your help

Ferro

17. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member