1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Corsair CM2X1024 RAM and an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wheelstb, Jan 14, 2008.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I recently bought some CorsairCM2X1024 RAM, when I installed it and everything seemed to snap into place just fine. But then when I went to boot up the computer would not boot. It just beeped 3 times and nothing happened. I held a power button until my system shut down. I called Intel about this and they said since my RAM wasn't on the recommended list they could not help me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Ok the beeping 3 times means there is something wrong with your memory. Im guessing without the new memory it boots fine? And have you checked your boards compatibility as to what RAM speeds it will accept?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Intel boards can be picky about, well, pretty much anything. If the RAM you've used isn't on the supported list, then find out why. It may just be that it's too high a speed for the board to recognise. If a board doesn't support Corsair RAM I'd be amazed, it's probably the most popular brand out there.

4. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Yeah its kinda odd that it wouldnt accept RAM like Corsair.. I mean, why wouldnt it be supported apart from the obvious reason of its too fast for the board?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Certain motherboards just can't recognise certain RAM modules, they just don't work. I never understood exactly why.

6. DedShadow

DedShadow Regular member

Thats fairly stupid if you think about it. Why cant manufacturers just design around that? Obviously there is something stopping them, but thats just stupid.

7. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

yes it boots fine without new ram it boots fine and the speeds are compatable

the tech support guy said that because corsair ram is high-end it often times will not work with intel boards. to me this sounded like a line of buil. it makes more sence that the board would have issues with low-end products.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What he's telling you isn't BS, but it's only true because Intel Motherboards are S@*!

9. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

gonna see if newegg will let me return the RAM and get another brand. what I have now is gskill and it works well. Should I just get the samething eventhough it is not on intel's list?

wish I had known this board was junk. it was very well reviewed on newegg when i bought it.I hope doesn't make updrades a pain.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

From what I've heard, Intel boards make everything a pain. If I were you, it's the motherboard I'd change, not the RAM, but of course that's far more hassle.

11. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

newegg has some great deals on ram. That is why i am thinking of ading more. With the corsair that I bought I got two 1 gig sticks for 38 bucks no s/h. what I have now is gskill, its not on intels reccomended list but it works fine. should I get more of the same or go with somthing from intel's list. i already have 2gb but for these prices it a great deal.

Thanks
    Tom

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As I say, if you're stuck with the Intel board, either get more of what you already have, or get what's on the recommended list. If I were you, I'd stick with the G-Skill, it's good memory. Just remember to buy exactly the same stuff as you have now, or you may risk another incompatibility.

13. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks everyone for all the help. still cant beleave corsair didnt work. i guess I should have gotten an asus board.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, anything other than an Intel if I'm honest. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, XFX, EVGA, DFI, Abit all work with Corsair RAM.

15. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

thanks for all the help