1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with drive can write RW but not R media seeking tips

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by shoppa, Nov 3, 2003.

1. shoppa

shoppa Member

I have a Verbatim producer 2.4x (ricoh rw5125 drive)

I am able to burn on Verbatim +RW media flawlessly, but on Verbatim +R media I make coasters about 95 percent of the time.

My system is newly reformated with Win2k, fully service packed, and has no installed software on it besides Nero Express. I have tried other programs as well on previous install tests and the drive will write to the DVD, but somewhere between 30% - 70% it has errors and creates a coaster.

Any tips?
    Thanks

2. Skavenger

Skavenger Guest

I have the same problem with my BTC Drive but fails at 99% "unable to close Disc At Once".

Which version of NERO, I have read that there are problems with certain versions of NERO.

Please give more info.__X_X_X_X_X_[small]"It's best to know what your looking for before you start"

E Mail bill_harvey@t-online.de
    Home Page http://bill_harvey.bei.t-online.de/home page.htm[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2003
  3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

4. shoppa

shoppa Member

Skavenger: I have actually tried it without NERO every being installed, same results.

Vurbal: As for the firmware listed above, my drive is the RW5125 Ricoh, is that the same as a MP5125 Ricoh? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to DVD/RW drives.

Thanks for any info!

5. vurbal

I'm 99% sure that they're the same drive. It's a little hard to get information on the actual Ricoh drive since their drives are primarily sold by other companies. If you look at the information from the DVD+RW Alliance website, the 2 drives seem to have exactly the same specs:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Product.Co...tim&Section=PcDrives&Preview.x=34&Preview.y=7

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Product.Co...oh&Section=PcDrives&Preview.x=30&Preview.y=10

You should probably contact Verbatim's tech support, as I seem to remember seeing a message board post somewhere from someone who was referred by them to the correct firmware update on Ricoh's Japanese website.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  6. shoppa

shoppa Member

Vurbal: Thanks for the links, I will contact Verbatim today. Ill post my results! It seems an upgrade to the 1.64 firmware is in order, since it fixes power levels to the laser and disc reading opacity etc.

Thanks again.

7. vurbal

No Problem. :)