1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with dual layer DVD video burning

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by magic58, Dec 25, 2004.

1. magic58

magic58 Member

Hi,
    I have bought a Pioneer A06 for my brother for Christmas and installed it for him. Up to now I have been using single layered discs and have been using:
    1. DVD Decryptor (v 3.5.1.0) 2. DVD2one( v1.30) and 3.Nero 6 without a hassle.

I bought a few dual layered Verbatim discs to give dual layer burning a try. I ripped the movie with DVD Decryptor (v 3.5.1.0) and opened Nero 6. When I go to drag the files in the VIDEO TS folder, I get a message saying ‘DVD video files relocation failed. The resulting DVD video may be un-playable, do you want to continue?’
    Where am I going wrong? Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. pieman

pieman Regular member

I think youll find the a06 doesnt support dual layer!!

3. magic58

magic58 Member

Oops! Sorry I meant Pioneer 108.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Dvd2one version 1.30 does not give you the option of re-authoring for dual layer discs.

Download version 1.50.

The GUI is the same as preceeding versions with a few extras.
    The main area you need to change is the destination size and format, where you have probably been entering the file size, you will notice that there is an extra option (Dual Layer).
    Just click on this and let Dvd2one do it's thing and you should be left with a nice Dual layer compliant set of files............................

Hope this helps...............

5. pieman

pieman Regular member

Happy xmas baabaa, i think youve just made it for magic!!

6. magic58

magic58 Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the info. Downloaded DVD2one 1.5.1 and choose ‘Whole Disc’ and ‘Dual Layer’. Still a little confused though as I tried to backup 2 different DVD’s. One a normal movie and another a TV series with episodes. Both initially had folder sizes of 11.7 gig appox when DVD Decryptor ripped the files. But when DVD2one has done it’s thing both resultant folder sizes were 6.83 gig appox..
    I have 2 questions 1. How come the initial size is larger than a dual layered DVD or DVD 9?, and 2. Why does DVD2one only makes it to 6.83 appox and not the entire available space of 8.5 gig or 8086 meg?
    Would love to know why.Happy New Year! Cheers. Thanks once again.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm, seems like there is a mismatch here.

Are you sure the folders where the 'ripped' files went to were empty?
    As I haven't heard of any consumer dvd's having the ability to hold over 8.5Gb of data, except flippers.
    Also what software are you using to rip them with?

When you put the dvd in your PC, what size is the VIDEO_TS folder reported back at within windows explorer, and is it the same as what DVD Decrypter reports back - Before ripping?

As regards to number 2, it may depend on the actual content, on how much it requires to compress - however normally when DVD2ONE is set to a value, then if a file size smaller than that value is input, then the resultant WILL always be less than the value initially entered.

The fact that you've stated that your file sizes are 11.7Gb really confuses me, and I also think this maybe causing an issue within DVD2ONE.

What movie is it and also the TV series (inc number of episodes)?

What ratio did you select, variable/constant or selective?
    If you selected selective, then I would suggest you try the variable ratio and see how they come out...............

8. magic58

magic58 Member

Hi baabaa,
    yes the folders were empty as I created them for the very purpouse of the rip.
    The movie was 'Paint your wagon' a 2hr 37 min movie and the series was MASH with 8 episodes.
    I had variable ratio selected.VIDEO_TS FOLDER WAS 7.38 gig.

However what I did was make an ISO file with Decryptor and then wrote the ISO file with decryptor.
    The result was sucessful. The ISO file size too was the same size of the VIDEO_TS folder.
    I have not watched the whole disc, but I think it should be OK.
    Cheers.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Funny really, cos I was going to ask you if you could try out an ISO creation/burn with Dvd Decrypter.
    No need know.....................LOL

One thing I do know is that the authors of DVD2ONE do actually recommend using the older versions of 'rippers'.
    Mainly due to the fact that they know that they do not modify ANY of the information except the removal of the CSS encryption.
    With the latest releases, they do not qualify that the information transferred is unmodified.

I have done a few DL+ over the weekend, The Star Wars Trilogy in fact and all came out just fine with DVD2ONE just set on Full disc, Dual Layer and variable ratio, using Dvd Decrypter in file mode (version 3.1.9.0).

If I was to go out on a limb, then I would probably say to try and obtain an older version of Dvd Decrypter and see if you get a better result..........

Anyways, looks like you have found a workaround, have a good New Year................

10. magic58

magic58 Member

Thanks a lot baabaa for your input. I always like to learn and be informed of other people's experience. See you around the forum.

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Anytime, glad to be of help........................

BTW: I shall be having a look into the newer version of Dvd Decrypter and see if I get any of those results.

Have good one................and catch ya' laters......

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

To make it simple, you could open DVD Decrypter, click Mode, ISO, Read. Rip the disc to an empty folder, then click Mode, ISO, write and locate the .ISO file. Should be that simple, no other software necessary.

13. baabaa

baabaa Active member

HeeHee, better late than never...................

Trouble is if you are using FAT32, there maybe issues with the 'free' route......therefore having some good software is a possibility..............

But we do have the Dvd Decrypter, Dvd Shrink freebies available to us, and therefore helps us out a great deal.........................

But nothing (IMO) matches the simplicity of DVD2ONE's capability and therefore worth the investment................

14. steff3

steff3 Member

I too am having trouble burning to DL. I have a new Dell Inspiron 9200 2.0 P-4 Mobile proc. 100 GB HD 1 GB ram. Nec 6500A 8x DVD RW that supports DL
    Using Nero 6.6 w/ Decrypter. (even tried Sonic, same results) Last few lines of burn error:
    6:48:06 PM #38 SCSI -1065 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1176
    SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x0A236000
    HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
    Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
    Sense Code: 0x20
    Sense Qual: 0x00
    CDB Data: 0xC9 0x02 0x02 0x01 0x42 0x54 0x59 0x50 0x45 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00

6:48:06 PM #39 CDR -1046 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
    Illegal disc
    _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6500A\H1 T0

6:48:06 PM #40 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
    Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

6:48:06 PM #41 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 276
    Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)

6:48:06 PM #42 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 867
    DRM: DRM burn session terminated.

6:48:06 PM #43 Text 0 File AudioCompilationImpl.cpp, Line 896
    DRM: Closing entire DRM handling. Bye.

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\ADPU160M.SYS': Ver=v3.60a (Lab01_N(johnstra).010529-2218), size=101888 bytes, created 8/17/2001 12:07:32 PM
    File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.03.16a, size=20576 bytes, created 8/2/2004 12:03:00 AM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)

Registry Keys:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I have tried three differant times to back up Collateral Damage but when it gets to the write stage I receive an error that the media is not compatable.
    Have even tried as ISO but get an error I/O. E 17:55:42 Failed to Write Sectors 0 - 31 - Cannot Write Medium - Incompatible Format

Using Ridata +R DL disc.
    Any thoughts?

15. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hmmmm, I have heard that NEC can be a little 'picky' when it comes to media.

But the main thing that stands out is in fact that the burner is 'hot' off the press, and the likelyhood that the software used can support such a new drive is very small, however I cannot support that with real proof.......................

I also heard that the NEC are generally going to support 'RICOH' branded media.
    I know other users WILL disagree with me (I use Pioneer 108) therefore I am only passing on what I have heard, and that it IS NOT gospel as I have no experience with the NEC drives..............

The fact that you have tried 3 ways of burning suggests to me that it maybe a media issue or indeed incapable of the software supporting that burner.

I use Recordnow Deluxe suite with my Pioneer 108 and Traxdata +DL (which are Ritek) and have no issues at all.

I would have a look at the NEC website for possible firmware updates for your burner or better still to contact them/and the software writers for support information for your burner.

I must admit, I have a standard -RW burner in my laptop, and am tempted to invest in one of those NEC one's, but in light of your issue, I shall hang fire to see if my current software can support it in the future.

I know this probably hasn't helped, but if I find any other info I shall post.........trouble is I am reluctant to give you any other possible tips, due to the cost of DL media and would not like to point you in any other direction that will burn a hole in your pockets.................

But the fact that you have tried several software, indicates to me of one of 2 things - unsupported burner, or incompatible media..............

16. steff3

steff3 Member

Thanks baabaa,
    I respect and agree with your input. Have already tried Nero support and no help there. Will try NEC and also will purchse a single DL disc from another mfg for my own piece of mind.
    If you, or anyone else, comes accross futher info, please post.

17. steff3

steff3 Member

Well, I went to Best Buy :-( (not my favorite place) and bought a three pack of Verbatim media and viola, a successful burn, almost. Problem with freezing and pop in rear channels during playback.........?

I don't have this problem with compressed (shrink)on regular DVD +/_ media.

Thanks again

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

HeeHee, you certainly don't hang around............got the bug and no way of controlling it now then eh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear a change of media gave you a successful burn.

The freezing/popping may be due to slight corruption on the original (easy to check for that).
    Could be down to burning it at max speed (2.4x), I only burn my DL at 1x to eliminate possible transfer issues like that.
    Maybe due to the software used to create the file structure, check it out buy playing the files that are on your hard drive (before the burn).
    If you used Dvd Decrypter to create an ISO, I think a program called 'Daemon Tools' can allow you to 'mount' (play the ISO, but not sure as I have never tried it)
    May just be a slight hiccup between the layer transfer from one layer to the other during playback.
    Or may even be down to your ROM or standalone having trouble with playback.

I would shoot for slowing the burn down if you can, and see if that helps any.
    Then maybe trying an alternative method to produce the correct file structure.

See how you go on anyway, and a Happy New Year to ya'.............