1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Johnny419, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Johnny419

Johnny419 Member

I definitely do not consider myself an advanced DVD author and would appreciate any assistance at all. Lately, I have had problems burning any movie whatsoever to DVD-R. This is 4x Sky Media DVD-R. I have burned approx. 10 movies to this -R media, but now it is impossible. I am strictly talking about burning movies, not data, as I have no tried to do that yet.

I use:
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0
    DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
    Intervideo DVD Copy 3

When trying to use Decrypter, I get an error saying something about Incompatible Format. When using the same software, same ISO, to burn to a +R, I have no problem. Like I said, I used to be able to burn to -R but not all of a sudden I cannot. I tried uninstalling, then reinstalling, still no fix.

When using DVD Copy, burning takes approx. 3 days. Yes, that is not a typo, 3 days. It goes thru 2 loops. And I have never waited the full 3 days to wait for it to finish. When putting in a +R, it works right away and I have a finished DVD+R in approx. 40 minutes.

I have an AMD Athlon 2400+, Sony DRU710A with BYX2 firmware (I think that is the latest), and running XP SP2.

Please help.

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Slow down Johnny419 yer just got yerself landed on one of the coolest place's on the planet.

I think you're using crap media... but then I maybe well proved wrong.

Anyway welcome to AD, and enjoy the ride

gringle.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I agree with gringle, I looked up some of the media codes for sky in dogbomb's thread and I wouldn't trust any of them.

What brand name are the plus discs that are successful?

4. Johnny419

Johnny419 Member

The +R's are Ridata. I'll admit that they are probably better, and that Sky may not be the best in the world, but the problem I am having is that I have burned like 10 of the -R's already, and successfully. It would be different if I had no success ever with them, but I have. It's just that they CAN'T work now. That's my problem.

I even formatted the HD to try and get this to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm more than willing to try it, unless it involves purchasing another spindle of -R's. I still have another 70 of these Sky -R's.

Oh, another question. Both discs are 4x. I cannot burn (not even the +R's) at anything other than 4x. I would like to burn them at 2x, but can't do that. DVD Decrypter allows me to change to 2x before the burn, but in that little text box, says, "Available Burn Speeds - 4x" Anyone know how to get it to burn slower?

Thanks.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What changed in your system for those to quit working? New software installed?
    New driver or firmware?
    Something had to change if they worked previously and now all of a sudden they don't..

6. Johnny419

Johnny419 Member

Nothing that I know of has changed.

7. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

ROTFL OMG that is Hilarious!!!!