1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with dvd shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Aurorita, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Aurorita

Aurorita Member

HI! I tried to use dvd shrink 3.2 but everytime I tried to back up the dvd drive opens and I can't begin the porcess. I have a Micro advantage 8x. Thank you

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Is the movie title on the drive that comes up.
    D:\"title"
    What error msg are you getting?

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Could yo u please be a little more specific? I dont understand what or where the problem is? Does it eject the disk as soon as you open Shrink? Or when exactly does it eject the disk? Just need a little better explaination of your problem so we can help please..
    :)

4. Aurorita

Aurorita Member

It does eject the disk as soon as I try to make the backup. After I selected the files that I want and click backup the dvd eject and close the program. It doesn't show any error message or anything.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok Just a few more questions so I can narrow this down.
    What Operating system are you running and is it NTFS or FAT32?
    What program are you using to burn your disks with?
    Have you updated your Firmware for your drive?
    What type of media are you using (brand name)?

Please answer all and I think I can help you out with this. I'm just trying to narrow it down for you, but I need a little more info.

Thanks mayobb

6. Aurorita

Aurorita Member

I'm running fat32.
    I'm using nero.
    I did not update my firmware. I read that this could damage my dvd drive. Is it true?
    I'm using memorex and imation.
    Thank you

7. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

Shrink is not a burning program and should have no effect on your burner. Try sending the output to a hard disc folder or use DVD Decrypter.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

1st Ok your biggest problem is the FAT 32 file system. You need to convert your hard drive to NTFS file system.

2nd Go ahead and update your firmware. There is no harm as long as you follow the manufacturer's directions. Make sure you download the firmware from the manufaturer'e web sight.

3rd Get some better media like Taiyo Yuden, Ritek G04, TDK ect here is a link that will help you understand media. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Your biggest problem is probably the FAT 32 file system then update your firmware and see if this helps your problem.

Let me know how this all works out..

bbmayo ;-)

9. Aurorita

Aurorita Member

Thanks for your advice. I would like to know I have a partition on my hard drive for backup. If I convert my hard drive to NTFS file system; have I format the entire hard drive and loose my data? Or I can convert only one part of the partition?

10. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink can still function on a FAT32 system. It's slightly more tedious but not impossible to do backups with a FAT32 system.

If you have Windows XP then I would suggest the conversion to NTFS. XP can do it for you. You may even gain a bit of hard drive space.
    @bbmayo-please be careful in your recomendations. Not all versions of Windows supports NTFS.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  11. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

12. avipro

avipro Guest

To convert FAT 32 to NTFS use Partition Magic, now sold by Norton. It works.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

zippyd,
    You are correct I forgot to mention that. Only Win2000, XP, and NT are NTFS compatable. So if you are using Win95, 98, ME, or even 3.11 geez I hope not the last one. LOL You can't convert to NTFS. Other than that if you are using XP which I hope you are Auroita then XP will do it for you automatically and you won't lose a thing.
    This is from Microsoft
    You can go here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...oc/en/choosing_between_ntfs_fat_and_fat32.asp
    This will explain FAT, FAT32, and NTFS. It will also explain how to convert your drive. (It is very easy to do)

Good luck

14. Aurorita

Aurorita Member

Thank you very much!! I updated my dvd firmware and works!!! Than I convert my hd drive and everything is fine!! Thanks again!!

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No problem. Glad to see everything turned out fine.

:)
    bbmayo