1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wgoindy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

I hate to ask for help but my frustration is growing and I am not finding the answers to my questions in other postings. So, I am working with DVD Shrink and Nero6, Sony 710 dual layer drive, Verbatim DVD+R and Verbatim DVD+R DL media. In most cases I am able to backup my DVD movies using the combination above. However, I am not able to play back anything done in uncompressed DL (sound drops out and jumpy video on a PC and nothing plays back on stand alone DVD player. Not that it is the cause but I also think DVD Shrink is not making use of Nero although I have checked the box to enable burning with Nero. Also , I once found a thread or guide that had information on difficult to burn movies and tips. If anyone could help me find my way back I would be greatful.

Thanks

2. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

When yor backing up to DL do you have DL checked in your Shrink preferences?
    HW.

3. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

I believe so, under preferences target DVD size drop down box selected DVD9. Is there another area I should be looking?
    Thx

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Why would you be using Shrink at all for a DL disk???

5. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

Shrink is the only software I have ever used (been at this 1 week). If there is a useful guide for DL or good software process/combination please let me know. Everything I have read says Decryptor is only for DVD5 and Nero needs decryption software (not sure what to use is there a good add in?), I tried Shrink and it worked but only when I let it make a compressed copy. I could really use some instruction or link to an active thread that might help.

Thanks,

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hope that helps you out :)

You could also install AnyDVD and use any burning software (Nero) just do the copy disk function..

Good luck, and let me know how everything goes :)

8. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

I really appreciate the tips and will give them a try. You are very kind to have offered your expertise.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can also use Shrink to do your DVD9, but first you need to set it up correctly

[​IMG]

Now just use Shrink as you normally would :)

10. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

Thanks for your help BBMayo. I am late in following up because I had to leave town unexpectedly and did not have web access with me. All of your suggestions work well and are very easy to follow.

I am able to use AnyDVD without any problems except that the completed backup disk will only play in the DVD DL player recorder it was created in. It will not work in other computer DVD ROM or stand alond DVD player. Do you have any experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks,

wgoindy

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you making sure that you are finalizing the disk's?

What program are you using to copy your disk's with AnyDVD?

12. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

I am using Nero6. Where would I check to see if disks are being finalized?

13. Gemo

Gemo Member

wgoindy - I'm almost as new at this as you are, and I have a similar problem as you - but I think I can answer your question.

To check if your DVD is finalized open up NeroInfotool from (Windows) Start > Programs > Nero > Nero ToolKit > Nero InfoTool. When it starts up it'll read all the info and give you a screen where you can select the "Disc" tab and view "Disc Status".

I think there it should show the if the disc is finalized or not.

What I'm not sure of (in my case) the DVD still shows as not finalized, so how do I finalize it???

14. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

Thanks for the tip Gemo, I looked it up and still did not see a disc status but all of the other information was there. Let me know if you figure it out and I will do the same for you.

Take care,

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Before you burn the disk make sure this box it checked
    [​IMG]

There is a guide at my website that shows you exactly how to burn a DVD to your disk using Nero. The link is in my signature. :)

16. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

BBMayo your commitment to helping others is great thakns!

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It's no problem :)

Thats why we are all here to begin with, right? To help each other out.. I even need help sometimes :)

18. motopimp

motopimp Guest

HEy question s for evryone.

If I want to copy a dvd movie like LAdder 49 what would i do . I have NEro 6 and I have DVD shrink can I use thses two things to copy full moviees into a 4.7 GB DVD blank disk??

19. wgoindy

wgoindy Member

That should work for you in most cases. However, I have had to rip and /or burn with decryptor from time to time. There are some great instructions out there bot BbMayo and Scuba Pete publish great instructions on their websites.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/index.htm
    Recognize that there is a fairly steep learning curve up front and you will be OK. Plan on wasting a few discs and some time.

WGO