1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with DVR playback .264 files

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by suunto, May 20, 2011.

1. suunto

suunto Member

Hello

I have just installed a 4 Channel H.264 Digital Video Recorder. I can watch my footage on the DVR machine however when I download the files to a USB pen and transfer the files to my PC, I can not watch them.

The file type is .264

I can watch AVI and H.264 files on my PC but sadly I can not watch any files created with my DVR machine.

Anybody got any ideas how I can convert the data from my DVR machine into something useful such as AVI, H.264, WMP?

I would very much appreciate any help or advice as I am trying to build up evidence to stop antisocial behaviour outside my house.

Cheers

2. praetorian65

praetorian65 Member

.264 is the extension generally given to a raw stream. You will need to insert it into a container file (mp4 or mkv are preferable) that the software players can understand. Drop it into your favourite transcoder (I use mediacoder and it should work fine), select your output options and go.

3. vwfoolwhy

vwfoolwhy Member

I have had the same problem with my DVR System. It saves the Files as ".264" files and can only be played back on the supplied Video Play Back Software.

Ive tried over 100 different video converters and have only found one that recognizes the .264 file.

OJOsoft Total Video Converter

Ive only tried the Free Trial Version that will only convert the first minute. I do plan to buy this converter software as it seems to be the only one that works.

Good Luck
    Mike