1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with king kong and narnia

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fourlc, Mar 25, 2006.

1. dpassman

dpassman Member

ZebUK is exactly right. He did not have some special "unprotected" disk, nor did he use anything but the DVD decrypter and shrink. I just got narnia and was trying to make a copy for my dad. it decrypted, but the error that everyone knows about occurred when I used shrink. I searched for a reason online and I found Zebs info on the alternate way to decrypt- ISO read (in the mode menu)- once I did that, I also followed the instructions for shrink, which said to use the "Read disk image" which, by the way, says on my version (3.2.0.15) "Open disk image" for any new users or technically challenged, they mean the same thing. So, for those of you that are too smart to realize that computers aren't ever going to make complete sense (at least it doesn't make sense to me that ripping via ISO will work when the other way won't)ZebUK is right.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

dpassman
    Due to the light copyright protection on Narnia, it's an easy release to back up. The point you make on ISO Read works with this particular movie and some others. However, there is a group of releases with the Arccoss, Puppetlock and Ripguard that cause serious compliance problems where ISO Read won't work. Since I'm in region 1 I can only speak of the one's I've run across, but for most it appears the same in other regions. The Legend of Zorro, Little Black Book, The Fog, Madagascar, Bambi 2, just to name a few over the recent past that can't be processed by DVD Decrypter in ISO Read. There's a sizable and growing list, especially from Sony and Disney. Granted, the ISO Read mode is sometimes more able to read past an error, but it isn't the panacea for all the new copyright protections. If one wants to stay with DVD Decrypter and do things for free, get PgcEdit and the plugins and use the PSL2 method. That's the most sure way of doing any of the more difficult releases and then process for DVD compliance errors with FixVTS or VobBlanker. I think Alkohol has a guide on that. The easy way is to use the retail and free software that has been updated to handle the new copyright protection. AnyDVD, DVDFab Decrypter (free), and DVD Region + CSS Free are just some of the names on the list. As everyone points out, Narnia was easy. With the easy ones, just use the easiest method that works, there's a bunch of them with Narnia. King Kong was even easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
  3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I tried the Greatest Game Ever Played, which is a Disney and had same type of protection as Narnia, using the iso read mode and Shrink would not even open the file and gave me an error. So this method although it does work as brobear states, it is only on some titles.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I did Narnia with AnyDVD>Shrink>NeroBurn. Recode wouldn't open. But shrink sure did. Also region 1 here.

5. azrielle

azrielle Member

I have been using DVDFab Decrypter & DVD Rebuilder since January to back up DVDs, and have had no problems whatsoever in making archival single density (4.31 GB) DVDs. Both are free, and blindingly easy to use. I have also used DVDFab Decrypter with Gordian Knot ("manual" version) to make XVID avi's to store and play on my computer with VLC Media Player. Problems with sound being out of sync with the video with Narnia & HP-4, solved by trial and error, by delaying the audio 900 milliseconds, and 2300 milliseconds, respectively.

6. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

DVD Backup Test Results - Slysoft's AnyDVD works GREAT for Narnia and everything I have tried. I have used Clone DVD and it is a great utility for the beginner. I still use DVD xcopy express becasue I like the results of its compression. I did a full DVD backup (menu, extras, the works) of Narnia using Clone DVD (with AnyDVD running) and I can see a very significant loss of picture depth and quality on the playback.

7. mcmenace

mcmenace Regular member

I use clone DVD2 and I am no beginner. There are other factors that could cause your situation, ie type of disk used, quality of TV, progressive scan dvd player etc. etc. I wouldn't be so quick to blame clone. Perhaps you simply got a bad copy. You can also get a better compression ratio by not copying extra's and bonus stuff with clone. I used it and backup was indistinguishable from original. I forget what ratio ended up being. Ratio is bottom line, no matter what program you use.

mcmenace

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  8. sonicbuzz

sonicbuzz Member

"Full DVD" compression is part of the problem. Making a copy of the movie ifo files only is the way to go for best quality.

I was just stating that "There is a significant loss of picture quality" when you compress the entire DVD for copying to a single DVD +/-R.

You will see this with any utility. If you wna to have the menu and all the extras, I highly recommend spanning the movie onto two DVD's.

I guess DL is the way to go. What is the best utility for using DL DVD?

9. mcmenace

mcmenace Regular member

That is an ongoing topic of discussion here, as some have the layer breaks. I know clone has the 9gig option, but dont know if it fixes layer break. You definately want to select one that does away with the break. Check back in the thread and you will find an answer to that. They are too rich for my blood, 25 for 79.99 on sale this week, and I'm pretty satisfied with what I am getting now, as I stated people can't tell which is which now, so until price drops dramatically, I see no need for the DL disks. If you tweak clone, you can get most movies to backup @ ratio's above 80%, which I personally use for determining whether to use other programs, such as blanker to try and get a better ratio, but that rarely happens. You can also slow copy speed down to 4x via clone or anydvd, that may help as well. I don't like using 2 dvd's mainly because I'm too lazy to get up and change them in the middle of a movie LOL, and pic is good enough that I see no need to go that way, that's my opinion.
    mcmenace

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@mcmenace

I agree with DLs being too expensive. I use them rarely except for a long movie I really like. I'm like you I can't really tell the difference in the picture on my antique 26 incher. The picture is too good to junk it for letter box that I want. If you're happy then that's all that matters. I just do the movie only and that helps compression.

11. theboltz

theboltz Regular member

I used DVDFabDecrypter and DVDShrink to burn a DVD5 of King Kong and had to say, it is real simple. I also made a DL DVD-R copy of King Kong and it took two tries, the first one an expensive coaster, the second one I upgraded my firmware on my NEC 3550A with Linny and Dee's, from CD Freaks to 1.y6 and it was a successful burn.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

mcmenace
    Since you're not a beginner, you may want to try Rebuilder. There's a free version. It comes with the free HC encoder. I prefer RB PRO and use the CCE encoder, a few bucks, but worth it. So far I've seen no need to edit DVDs for compression with RB. Below 80% is where this setup shines. While other apps are giving you poor depth and making the user edit or do splits, RB is supplying a high grade backup. There's a big difference using a true encoder. The trade off is that it can take a couple of hours per DVD. I do batch processing so the job gets done while I'm sleeping or out. I use it on almost all my backups, unless the compression is ridiculously low and/or I'm in a hurry for one of the kids.

13. mcmenace

mcmenace Regular member

Thanks broear, do you have a link for the RB program??? I would like to give it a spin.

@garmoon
    I'll drink to that =))

14. brobear

brobear Guest

http://www.dvd-rb.com Everything you need should be there, plus some accessories. There's a big help section here at AD if you happen to need it.

15. Laura_e

Laura_e Member

Hi. I just thought I would share with you how I backed up my copy of Narnia. Shrink would not open it so I used DVD Decrypter in file mode and then used nero recode - movie only (I only ever do the movie so not sure if this works for full disc). I opened up the file and then burnt it using nero. Have watched the copy with my niece several times and haven't had a problem. This is the Australian release that I did. Hope it helps some of you that may be having trouble and I know there is probably an easier way but I am far from an expert:)

16. moses245

moses245 Member

I've decrypted it, just yesterday! Although I am in region 2 (RSA) so this might have something to do with it (cos someone mentioned it)... but i doudt this is the problem!... btw I did have problems with it so I switched the priority from "high" to "below normal"... the default is "normal" but that gave me a problem aswell" hope it helps.

17. Mez

Mez Active member

No moses245, the region number has nothing to do with the encryption. The only thing that changes from region to region is that number. Not only does the disk contain multiple audios but multiple credits ect. There is usually more than an hour's worth of crap on a typical DVD. This is a ploy to make it harder to copy. You can't really make a complete backup of a full disk. That is why a blanker is useful for improving the compression ratio. I eliminate adds, extra language support and director stuff. Unfortunatly, this does take extra time.

A important note!

VOB Blanker is also useful making back ups of skippy masters. If the master is not too scratched, a non skippy backup can be made from a skippy master. That is easier than resurfacing the disk.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

On occasion there are different copyright protections placed on different region releases. Normally though, they're much the same from one region to the other. Region codes are merely a weak attempt at preventing a release from one market being played in another before the official market release, such as playing the NA release of Narnia (Region 1) in Australia (Region 2) before the Australian release is available. Think AnyDVD or DVD Region + CSS Free.

I think the additional "crap" on the new releases are more filler than an attempt at copy prevention. Most transcoder apps nowadays have the option for movie only as a choice for doing the backup, no manual editing needed. Only some of the older freeware or cheap retail require manual editing nowadays. Good encoder apps such as Rebuilder with CCE can compress an 8.5 DL to DVD5 with excellent quality. I often do the full backups with RB. If I was getting any compression errors, I'd see them on my 60" TV. I've been doing the full backups for quite a while now. I wouldn't advise it with larger movies and regular transcoders though.

Guess you haven't seen the electric Skip Dr (like I have) in action. But without shelling out the bucks for a decent resurfacing tool, Mez is right, some software can slow down and get a read on a scratced disk that would cause a player to skip. I use XRescue to read all of a disc that's possible when resurfacing doesn't cure all the problems.

As for the movie only that Laura_e mentions, that's a good way to bypass copyright protection, if you get the rip. Narnia posed little trouble; it was one of the lightest protected releases to come along recently. It could be done full disc using only DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, rip in ISO R and process through Shrink (using the Quality Settings to improve for compression).

19. moses245

moses245 Member

Do you honestly believe that?

20. brobear

brobear Guest

What are you quesitioning? As far as believing what I say, you bet. I've been doing backups for some time now and I have quite a collection of software to choose from. I rarely state anything I haven't tried myself or on some rare occasions at least by one of my trusted friends. I'm not like some of the people who just shoot their traps off to have their words on the forum and running up post counts.