1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with laser after opening case!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Rab!, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Rab!

Rab! Member

Hey, i was wondering if anyone might have a clue what I've done - the playstation wont read any discs at all after my fiddling :(
    I opened up the Playstation to replace the laser guide that was thoroughly worn, did so by unscrewing the little pallette it sits on with the disc rotor, realising otherwise, rescrewing this, and using one of the little runners the laser goes along, all was well, apart from cackhandedly i dropped one of the little screws down a hole in the metalwork... atleast i had a spare. Although i dont think this'd be the cause of my problem i thought i'd include it.
    I believe i touched the laser eye and probably muddled it around quite a bit, whilst affixing the new guide, i don't think i pulled any of the laser wiring or the rotor wiring out, as they both work as normal.
    Yet upon rescrewing everything it will not boot CDs for love nor money!
    I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what i might've done, or to confirm that i'll need to reallign the laser.
    Thanks in advance

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Can you hear the laser moving?

If it is not then that screw could be your problem.

If the laser is moving then you may need to allign it again with the white cog at the top end of the dvd drive.

3. Rab!

Rab! Member

yeah i'm pretty sure the laser is moving about, the reason for opening up the case to fit the new lens guide was to sort that out, which by the looks of things i've done, as it zooms about without getting stuck now, but i must've dislodged something else or knocked the laser out of whack like a fool!
    i undid a few screws and probably touched the electrical ribbon going to the laser but i'd've thought that wouldnt be damaging. u think its probably a poorly alligned laser?
    the disc seems to spin a helluva lot too, it doesnt stop at all and is going at what id call max speed most of the time, which makes me think its a read error style thing to do with the laser not being able to "see" the disc properly...
    then again i may well be spouting gibberish

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Clean the laser with compressed air or a q-tip.

Then adjust the white cog, 1-2 clicks at a time and try a disc.(no need to put ps2 back together just put the dvd-drive cover on while trying a game)

When all of them work put it back together and there you go...

5. Rab!

Rab! Member

okay i'll give it a go when i remove myself from the PC and shall report back, fingers crossed successful!
    thanks alot, hope your advice is the way forward... dont wanna spend even more on the little bugger.