1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with long length DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kp95926, Aug 31, 2003.

1. kp95926

kp95926 Member

Does any know why when using Nero 5.5 for DVD burning that the movie locks up after 100 minutes of burn. I use both DVD Decryptor and DVD2One for compression. I find the same problem when using Instant Copy of DVD Express. Doesn't seem to appear when using XCopy but of course that uses two discs and doesn't allow full use of 4.3GB disc space. Please reply if you know any clues. Also using cheap DVD PRO media from Meritline. Thanks for the reply!!

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

i think the question should be why your DVD is taking 100 minutes to be burn!! The media is your next problem. Its probably useless for DVD Video and ok for data

3. kp95926

kp95926 Member

Clarification:
    The disk doesn't take 100 minutes to burn but the DVD copy has a problem after 100 minutes of playback. Movie starts locking up and sometimes will only playback on computer. Only happens on movies requiring over 100 minutes of compression.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

That is because of the media. The outer edges of a disc are where it is affected most. Over 100 minutes is approaching the end of the discs outer edges. This will be the problem.

5. kp95926

kp95926 Member

Okay, I understand it's the end of the disc,
    what are other people doing about this? I know that others with different media brands are having the same problem

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Oriphus is probably right in saying that the problem is due to cheap media (check DVD-R Media Forum)

Also what speed are you burning at ?

What burner , w/ what firmware ??

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

People tend to move on to beter quality media such as Ritek G04's. it does have a bit to do with the way in which it is burned as Herbsman suggests.

8. kp95926

kp95926 Member

Unfortunately I have come across other people that are using better media (i.e. Ritek +R format)FYI process...rip with DVD Decrypter, shrink with DVD2ONE, burn with Nero 5.5.10 using DVD-ROM (UDF)standard onto Pioneer DVR-105 with Windows XP Platform. Granted these are cheap blanks and I am willing to burn at 1X but this type of problem I don't think is media related. Looks fine if your less than 100 minutes of playing time.

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

its most definately media related!

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Trust me it is your media!! It ets to 100 minutes fine. Why is that?? i'll tell you. The problem with cheap media is the outer edges of the disc and the inner ones. The outer edges will be somewhere around 1hr 40 - 1hr60mins on your disc, depending on the media. that is why it only happens there for you.

11. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Your media is not only cheap but wholly unreliable , I do not believe you have tried Ritek DVD-R & had problems kp (so check it as told by all members in here trying to help you)

12. berny

berny Member

When u burn the DVD in nero use UDF/ISO. Its more compatible with standalnoe Dvd players

13. malum

malum Regular member

The further out from the centre of the disc you go the faster the pits are traveling past the laser and the less time it has to read them.
    If your media is crap then it will have loads of errors on it (well actually if your media is great it will have errors on it just far less)
    At the read speed on the outside of the disc they cannot be corrected and the disc fails.

In short: use better media

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I would normally have agreed with exactly what you said there. However, ive been thinking. If you burn a DVD at 4x, then that 4x is generally constant throughout the range in terms of data transfer rate. However, Nero DVD Speed shows it to be a constant increase. Therefore, if 4x is an amount of data transfered a second, then are you really burning a disc at 4x? I dont hink i should try thinking as much cuz its starting to hurt :D

15. malum

malum Regular member

4x would be the maximum burn speed at the outside edge of the disc, it would presumably be less the nearer the centre you go (well it starts at the centre but you know what I mean).

It only needs to be read at 1x by a standalone when playing and whilst that may be easy for the recording drive to achieve many standalones can't cope with the number of errors near the edge and they fall over.

Diferrent standalones cope diferrently depending on how good they are at correcting the errors. On this basis it doesn't pay to use inferior media even if they work cos it won't take much to increase the number of errors on them enough to make them unplayable

16. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Not sure i agree with you guys. When i burn an image with dvd decrypter, it starts at 4-4.1X and ends up at 5-5.7X.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I wasnt agreeing with it. I was querying it. Since 4x is in terms of a data transfer rate, that transfer rate stays more or less current throughout, otherwise it wouldnt be 4x. I think im with Sly on this one!

18. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I don't get it. What difference would recording speed make (other than time savings)? Wouldn't the important factor be the read rate? Why would slower record cause more errors - a slower HD saves the same information as a fast HD it just takes longer. What makes digital media different on this?

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The faster something goes, the more likely it will run into difficulties. If you are doing 30 miles an hour round a corner, the tires grip fine. Try doing it at 60 miles an hour, the tyres slip a bit. Think of that as an error in recording.

20. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

So it is better to record at 2.4 than 4x?