1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my mic

Discussion in 'Audio' started by martaru, Nov 15, 2004.

1. martaru

martaru Member

There seems to be a problem with recording from my microphone. For some reason it is extremely quite when recording, I thought it might be a broken microphone so I bought another one but i'm still having the same problem. The only thing i have done differently is a plugged an audio cable from my video camera into the computer so i could record the audio i had taken using the video camera, it worked fine but when i go to use the microphone again it no longer works. I have tampered around with evrey single audio contorl i could possibly find. My idea is that i've ruined the microphone jack to my computer by using the cable from the video camera, it may have short circuited it or something, i'm not really sure what to do, i was thinking about buying another sound card but that might now be the answer. My computer is full insured so i'm not panicking too much. Could someone please shed some light on my problem! Thanks...

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its sounds like you are on the right track! If you really have turned your volume control for the mic up and it had no effect then your sound card is mostlikly damaged. You should test it by using another sound card. In the future it would be better to use the Line-In port instead of the mic port for all other non-microphone sound recording endeavors.

The Mic-port is very "sensitive" while the Line-In and Line-Out / Speaker ports are standard resistance ports (typically).

Hope this helps,
    Ced