1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my pioneer burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by osvaldo05, Apr 5, 2007.

1. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

I just bought a pioneer burner model dvr-710 it is supposed to be 16x but it is slow. I have the tranfer mode in DMA if available but in the current transfer mode its at PIO mode in the booklet it says it supports DMA transfer mode but I cannot change it. Is there a way i can change it???

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Yep your transfer mode needs to be in DMA also.
    You can uninstall the ide channel in device - reboot and let's windows do it's thing & reinstall. This should put it back in DMA mode.

Here's a guide - link

3. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

Hey thanks for the reply binkie I tried it but when i reboot it its still in PIO mode is there anything else i can do to change it?

4. binkie7

Ok - try uninstalling the drive itself in device manager.

Same deal as the ide channel. Right click on the Pioneer under 'dvd-cd-rom drives' - pick uninstall - reboot.

Check the connections on the drive too and make sure all secure. When you installed the drive did you change the jumper pin on the back to match the setting on the ide cable? Most drives some set as 'slave' so if it's on the master connection the jumper should be set to master.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what computer do you have because if dell than supposedly the drive has to be jumpered as cable select?

6. binkie7

Ah forgot about the Dell's liking the cable select.
    Txs ddp!

7. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

8. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

Hey whats up yeah its a dell and i actually had it in slave at first then i changed it to cable but it just wont change. I already tried uninstalling it but just wont change? In the booklet it says that it requires 80-wire ide cable for 16x writning speed. Can that be the problem? If so how can you check if you have the correct ide cable?

9. binkie7

It a good thing ddp popped in then!

Yes Dell's prefer the cable select. Cable select used to have special ide cable an I'm pretty sure the Dell would have came with one if it's a few years old. 80 pin will handle that too - you can tell if it's a 80 pin by the connector colors - one is blue, one is black and one is grey.

Here's a utility from Dell to set the drive from pio to dma - link

Keep us posted!

10. ddp

binkie, it is a 80 wire 40 pin cable not 80 pin cable as that is wider than a scsi-1 cable which is 50 pins.

osvaldo05, how many drives are on that cable & what are they as in rom drives or hard drives?

11. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

Well i tried the link from dell that binkie7 gave me and it actually did change the transfer mode but i tried burning a dvd but it wrote it at 1.4x. Well as to what ddp is asking i have 2 hard drives and 2 dvd drives

12. ddp

what drives are on what cables

13. binkie7

txs once again ddp - I knew as I was typing didn't sound right :)

14. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

Well i have the drives on the secondary IDE channel. I also changed the pioneer drive with the one that was already on the computer and the pioneer is on Dma transfer but the other drive is on PIO mode.

15. binkie7

As both drives jumper pins set to cable select?

How about the cable you using - do you see the blue, grey and black connectors?

16. osvaldo05

osvaldo05 Guest

Yes both jumper pins were set at cable select and no i dont see the blue grey and black connectors. well I put the pioneer drive in my brothers computer and it is running in dma mode so i dont know what the problem is. I guess im just going to leave it in my brothers computer.

17. ddp

what color are the cable connectors?