1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my SONY DVD+R, need help and advice

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by 199, Nov 17, 2004.

1. 199

199 Member

I have a problem with my media, I have burned 9 DVD movies successfully up to now using my DATAMAX 4X DVD+R, (they come in a pack of 10) now before I reached my 9th DVD I decided to go and buy some more DVD+R, before the ones that I have finish, I got a bundle of Sony 25 discs, I got them for 12BD which is ($31.8319 / 17.1351 British Pounds)

in Bahrain were I come from there are not alot of choices for DVD, especially since not a lot of people used DVD recorders, and even more I have noticed that DVD-R are probably more popular, anyways I don't like buying single DVD because it costs more I only found two Brands of DVD+R that are sold in bundles, Sony and Hyundai (I didn't trust them plus they cost more) I choose the Sony reading all the bullsh!t in the cover, "Excellent Performance and Reliability". Anyways what im trying to get is my problem, I burnt 3 Sony DVDs One worked perfectly, the other freezes if I'm watching the movie then try to access the Title/Menu, and one doesn't work it freeze the minute I put it in my DVD player, as in it reads the FBI warning and freezes, I have to disconnect the DVD-Player form the socket, now my DVD player is region free, and up to now it had never failed me, I played al types of DVD movies, region 1,2 and region free DVDs, now lets go back to my other DVDs I used the same files and burnt them on my DATAMAX DVD the movie works perfectly so the problem is obviously with SONY DVD, "Excellent Performance and Reliability" all BULLSH!T, What I want to know is how come the Sony’s that I got are not performing well, while the DATAMAX one worked perfect, I read a couple of post saying the Brand of the DVD is important, well in my case its wrong, now I would like, to buy some reliable DVDs since I don't have much choices in Bahrain, the next time I visit Dubai, UAE, I will be buying some DVDs form there I would like too know what brands I should avoid and what I should get, printable DVDs would be nice if there good quality,

So basically to sum it up, I want to know what’s wrong with my SONY DVDs
    and, what to Buy next, something affordable and reliable, packs of 25 or 50 is good.

Thanks in advance

DVD info

DataMax DVDs pack of 10 in a Bundle
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:AML-001-000]
    Disc Type : [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer ID : [AML]
    Manufacturer Name : [Unknown Manufacturer ID]
    Media Type ID : [001]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB
    (4.70GB)]
    [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]
    Sony DVDs pack of 25 in a Bundle

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Company Ltd.]
    Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
    Media Type ID : [R01]
    Product Revision : [002]
    Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB
    (4.70GB)]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  2. davidris

davidris Member

I have just succesfully made a film complete with sounds music and titles and can view it on my PC. I produced this using Pinnacle Studio 8. Excellent
    Now I want to burn onto a disc so that I can play it on my tele via a player. My first attempt worked perfectly for nearly ten soconds and then the picture broke into lots of boxes and appeared to go bonkers.
    As I have struggled and tried every help line in creation. I still cant do it. Anyone out there who can save my sanity
    davidris

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... 199, those Sony discs with the manufacturer ID of RICOHJPN are excellent media ... My favorite for the price ...

4. 199

199 Member

catfreak, then how come I getting problems with them, the odd part is that the manufacture makes these disc to many of the good name brands including Memorex, Philips etcc.. and TDK which is one of my fav brands, but then again they also make DVD for Imation which is my worst brand, I hate Imation CDRs I haven't tried the DVDs and I won't even if they are producted from the same plant.

davidris, I don't want to sound rude, but what does your problem have to do with my problem, either create a new topic or find one with similar problems, it would be easier for people to help you if u go to a post with simlar problems like yours ,

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... 199, if you have anything running in the background on your computer when you're burning discs, you can cause lots of problems ... You should turn off all anti-virus and firewall programs ... disconnect from the internet ... disable your screensaver ... AND do not use your computer for anything else while the burning process is going on ...

6. 199

199 Member

Thats what I always do when I burn a DVD I don't use the computer at all, nortan anti-virus is on (but not scanning), and internet connected but not used, the same conditions are used to burn on my other discs, no probelms with my other disc only with the SONY

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Since you've followed all of the rules, 199 ... I'd have to say that it's a media problem ... Just because I'm unable to recognize the DataMax DVDs doesn't mean that they aren't any good ...

... Here's a good link to use with your DVD Identifier ...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I am really suprised to hear that you are having problems with media coded Ricohjpn R01. Those are my media of choice. A couple things you can try: make sure you have the latest firmware update for your dvdrw, try slowing the burn speed to 2x (although I burn these at 8x with no problems), if your dvdrw is capable, format your dvd+r's to dvd-rom, clean out any spyware and adware, defrag hdd on a regular basis. Let us know how it goes.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Since your other DVD Media works perfectly fine the logical conclusion is to get rid of the sony disk's and use what works "If It Aint Broke Don't Try and Fix It"
    Do the disks Play your DVD Rom ok? If so your Stand alone player just might not like the Sony's...
    Here are some good brands to look for
    Taiyo Yuden
    Ritek
    Fuji Film (made in Japan) these are made by Taiyo Yuden
    TDK
    Verbatim (Data Life Plus)
    I'm not really sure what you have access to over there so if you could name the brands that you can get where you are at we could probably narrow it down for you. Also DVD -R's are usually more compatable in stand alone DVD player's so you may want to try the -R's also..
    Hope this helps some :)

10. 199

199 Member

thanks bbmayo, I will try too get some other DVDs, TDK and Verbatim have always been my fav. I will try to get some.

11. 199

199 Member

another Bad Burn, on my unreliable Sony DVD Discs, this is my second bad burn, I will see how much bad burns I will end up with from the whole 25 pack, I will keep you guys updated