1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Nero and DVD Shrink... Please Help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KaRaCKTeR, Dec 22, 2004.

1. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

First off, thanks for looking and taking interest in my troubles....

Im having some problems with DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 and Nero v6.3.1.10.

With the DVD Shrink... im having trouble keeping it open. When i start the program and then open a DVD into the workspace, everything goes as planned. It does its mini analysis and then the options pop up where i can pick and choose which parts of the DVD to keep or remove. Well the problem comes up when i go to click on any of the options... lets say "Main Movie". An error pops up that reads "DVD Shrink 3"... inside it says "DVD SHRINK 3 caused an invalid page fault in module QDVD.DLL at 016f:02225e31." and im forced to close the program. I know how to go around this problem, simply by opening two seperate DVD Shrink windows. That does the trick. But i Can't understand why i cant use it on simply one window.

On a separate Issue.. i noticed that when i decide not to choose "Enable Video Preview" during analysis/encoding, the speed goes up. Does this affect the quality of the rip or doesnt it.

Onto Nero. The problem i have is with the burning process messing up at the very end. It fails when it is writing the lead out. It happened three times in a row. If it does happen to complete, i use the verify the disk option in nero and i always find inaccessible areas at the very end of the disc. When i later play the DVD i find that it freezes at the end points of the movie. I just recently set my drive to DMA mode to achieve a 4X burn speed and it did that, but i have only finished one DVD and failed on 5 others. I unchecked DMA and burned at 2X and i successfully burned the same DVD. I dont know whether the actual DVD disks are causing the problems or if its my settings. I noticed that when i had it on 4X, the used buffer was always at 100%, while at 2X it would go down to 0% and climb to stay at 100% for only a short time. How does used buffer affect the burn? I think my LiteOn LDW411s (firmware FS0F) only has 2MB. Can anyone please let me know whats going on? How can i get my success ratio to go up. Can anyone tell me what settings i should use on Nero. Thanks for taking time out to read this.

*** i just recently installed AOpen DVD 1648/AAP dvdrom drive. i changed to DMA setting around the same time i installed so i dont know if the new drive could be causing the problems too. the disks im using are DVD-R Ritek Ridata G04.

2. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

*** i just recently installed AOpen DVD 1648/AAP dvdrom drive. i changed to DMA setting around the same time i installed so i dont know if the new drive could be causing the problems too. the disks im using are DVD-R Ritek Ridata G04.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Ok I believe I can help you out of this :)

The easiest way for me to explain this is to say just go to my web site here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html
    and follow the instructions in the first guide "The Mayo Method to backing up DVD" this will solve a number of the issues you are having.

Good luck and let me know how everything turns out?

4. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

Hi. Thanks for responding. I took alook at the guide and i noticed that it was only for the main movie. Do you have a method to back up the whole DVD... menus and all?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You can use those guides for that also if you must have the extras. Instead of taking the extras off just compress them. I really don't like compressing everything to much because you get much better quality and less problems if you only do the main movie. My guides were designed more for the true newbie, and well frankly "less is more" if you get what I mean ;-) Again thought you can use my guides for the whole movie just rip all the files with Decrypter and compress the extras, but You do need to adjust the target size in Shrink so you won't have anymore problems with the end of your movies :)

6. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

Hi. I did what you suggested and i shrunk the target size, but i still had problems writing the lead out at 4x when my drive is set at DMA mode. It just wont do it. I'm trying to use DVD decrypter to burn movie but im running into some problems. Here a link to a new thread i started... please take a peek.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/140142