1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Nero, or something?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by sg1974, Jan 22, 2005.

1. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Hi guys. I am having trouble burning anything onto DVD's. I am a newbie so bear with me. I just got a Cyberhome burner, that came with an OEM Nero express v6.0, with nero vision express 2. I have downloaded the most recent updates for nero and vision express. I have two desires, to burn home movies and to backup dvd's. each time i try, my system either freezes or i get a 'burn process failed'. One message said it was an I/O dvd engine error. this happens even with DVD Shrink. I will provide a log if needed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled nero. I read somewhere that if you turn off the burn at once feature that helps. but nothing seems to work.

I am not sure if it is the software or the burner. i don't think it's the burner because it will burn cd's just fine. I am trying to write on a dvd+rw,but have also wasted two dvd-r's. sorry to be all over the place, but i am ready to just give up on dvd burning.

any help would be appreciated. and don't be afraid to start from the very beginning.

2. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Hi, I will do my best to help you with this problem. :)

I have also had problems with Nero and have decided to stick with what has worked for me many times. Two programs that make life so much easier. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.

I recommend that you uninstall Nero and just leave it behind for now, you can always give it another shot later on when you've become more experienced and can better understand what the original source of your problems were.

Secondly, download DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink from the forum and install those programs.

Shrink is right here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

And Decrypter is here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Once you've done that, use the following link and do some reading. There are some easy to follow guides here and you will find success soon enough.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

Conversely, you can find a great guide written by one of our resident experts, ScubaPete, at the following link. Scroll down about halfway and enjoy his wonderful and pain free guide. :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Be more than happy to help you out if you have any further inquiries. And remember, we all make coasters along the way, it's the learning experience that really matters. Happy burning!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  3. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Thanks CG. I already have DVD Shrink but not Decrypter. I had tried once to uninstall Nero and just use Shrink, but Shrink apparently works with a burning program and told me I needed Nero. I take it that is where Decrypter comes in? Anyways, I have Shrink 3.2 and will download Decrypter and start reading. I will post my progress. Thanks again for the quick reply!

4. Buik

Buik Regular member

By default, Later versions of Shrink use NERO for burning the DVD. I'm still using an older version of Shrink (it ain't broke so ain't gonna fix it yet), but you should be able to disable the automatic "Burn w/NERO function".

Try giving us some of your system specs. That info can help narrow down the problem. Such info as whether your drive is set as master, slave or cable select. Is it on a IDE channel by itself or on the same one as the HD? Is it set for PIO or UDMA? How much HD space do you have available? What is your OS?

BTW un-installing NERO using control panel add/remove programs does not remove all traces of NERO. There will still be entries in the Registry. You will have to download a tool to clean registry entries out.

TC

5. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Ok, I downloaded decrypter and went thru the steps at that bbmayo website, and it burned without a hitch! However, it will not play on my standalone DVD players. But I burned it on DVD+rw that came with the burner, plus my DVD players are all at least 4 or 5 years old. So it may be the media or the players i think.

But now I tried to burn the same movie (Matrix) on a DVD-R, it gave me an I/0 error about halfway thru the burn. Here is what it said:
    ---------------------------
    DVD Decrypter
    I/O Error!

Device: [0:1:0] DVDR/RW DX162D-A 130F (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 13 B7 C0 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 1292224 - 1292255

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07
    Interpretation: Logical Block Address out of Range
    Retry Cancel

By the way, i have AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.83Ghz, 512Ram, 160Gig HD with about 120 free, 128Ram graphics card, i have the dvd burner as a slave connected with the HD. Any help with this would be appreciated.

6. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Also if this helps, the DVD-R is Verbatim with VideoGard protection, burns up to 8x. I tried to burn at 8x, but in the steps was told to burn at 4x. maybe i got too ambitious?

7. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Check your Decrypter settings and do the following steps to adjust it.

Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab, change "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", In "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO/BUP PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO/BUP PUO's" there also.

In the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs which may cause reading problems.

Also, I would advise always burning at 4X. The time you save by burning at 8X is not worth the risk you run of suffering errors and making a new coaster. Better safe than sorry. :)

Let me know how it goes. Take care!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  8. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

By the way, I suggest investing in some Taiyo Yuden DVD media or some Maxell. Made in Japan is the way to go. Very high quality media at a reasonable price. :)

9. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Ok, I did everything you said CG, but it still kicked it out with the same error. But I didn't start from scratch, i just started at Decrypter with the file that had already been compressed. I didn't think it would matter, or does it? Also, could i have a problem with the media i'm using? I always thought Verbatim was decent, I have friend who uses it and it works just fine.

What does Logical Block Address out of Range mean anyway?

10. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Verbatim should be okay, i've burned a few dual layer discs that were Verbatim brand and they turned out alright.

Logical block addresses are sectors that use a simple numbering scheme starting with zero as the address of the first sector on a device.

Under your DVD Shrink "Preferences", do you have the target DVD size as "4360"? That is the setting that I use. Also, you may want to start from scratch to help eliminate possible error sources.

11. sg1974

sg1974 Member

Ok, i'm about to lose it!!! I decided to try another DVD, rather than Matrix. I went thru all the steps and burned on my dvd+rw with no problems. Then I started from scratch, and tried to burn on the dvd-r, and lo and behold, the same error. is it safe to say that it is my media? maybe this verbatim videogard has not been around long enough to get any reviews on it. I have not been able to find much on them. I am going to buy some new media, i'm just pissed that it was a waste of 12 bucks!

12. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

If you get new media I recommend Taiyo Yuden, Maxell or Sony. As long as it's made in Japan, you're better off than risking it with other media.