1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with New Sony: Boynton Beach Club/Running with Scissors

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by surfgeo, Feb 6, 2007.

1. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

i have had no success backing up these two new sony releases. going the freeware route. dvdfab and ripit4me latest versions. won't even recognize disk in drive sometimes. tried on three different computers. sometimes the drive won't eject the disk and requires a reboot to remove the disk. any suggestions? or do i just have to wait for newly updated software that will deal with sony's latest encryptions/protections?

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Aloha surfgeo
    Hmmm I did Running w/ Scissors w/ AnyDVD and CloneDVD - same protection as Saw 3 and Open Season. Not sure on Boynton Beach Club.

2 long shots for you - firmware up to date on the drives you've tried it in?
    Try to play the movie if you can then stop. Now see if DVDFab or RipIt4me can do it.
    When it does recognize the disc what happens?

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ surfgeo,

DVDFab 3075 Beta will rip Running with Scissors, VobBlanker 2130 beta 5 will also work after the rip.

4. slab

slab Member

did it with DVDFab 3075 Beta movie only , then shrink , then burn with nero

5. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

update to my original post...

@binkie mahalo and aloha. thanks for the suggestions. i doubt the firmware is/was an issue as the computers are fairly new, but maybe. and the movies wouldn't play, then would, sort of. see full explanation below. hope all is well! a hui hou.

@300bowler. thanks. i tried both dvdfab 3.0.7.5 beta, and when that didn't work went back to 3.0.7.2 to see if that might work. nope. then the beta worked... on two of the three computers...

i have three computers 2 1/2 year old dell (older dell), 5 month old dell with dvd-rom and dvd-rw (newer dell), and an HP laptop about a year old (laptop). both "boynton beach club" ("bbc") and "running with scissors" ("rws") were freezing up the drives (would not eject disk without reboot) on all computers, which read "no disc present". i also had this problem with flags of our fathers which after several hours of repeated attempts, could finally be read and ripped movie only with ripit4me 1.6.8.0. my question, why didn't it work and then it did? same thing with both "bbc" and "rws" (but took until late last evening when older dell and laptop could see/read them), at first when the discs became visible/readable, neither ripit4me nor dvdfab 3075beta would work, getting various error messages. finally got movie only versions of both on laptop and older dell, but neither drive on my newer dell has ever yet been able to see either disc! since i changed nothing on any of the computers at any time, this seems mysterious to me. i had this happen once before, about a year ago, when a particular dvd couldn't be read, then could be read, but no software worked to backup, and then finally the same software on the same computer DID work! i'm curious if anyone has any insight into this and what i might do to prevent it from happening in the future. i've got my backup discs, so that's good. but i'm still mystified as to why it didn't work, then it did, except for the newer dell which still doesn't!

thanks!

6. binkie7

I'm pretty mystified here too surfgeo.

If it was 1 pc & even 2 drives I would think software conflict but 3 pc's probably all with different setups to some degree kinda rules that out.

Then I would think bad disc but we're looking at 3 here and 3 pc's fail numerous attempts until finally some success.
    Unless they were all made by the same distributor and that's really pushing it.

You might want to try just decrypter on Flags of Our Fathers - will handle that one.

I wish I had a better answer or solution for you :(
    Hopefully someone else will.

7. newgene2

newgene2 Member

Surfgeo, I was having the exact same problem on an HP laptop. I couldn't get it to work with RipIt or the usual Shrink/AnyDVD combo. I finally used DVDFab 3.075 beta, and it worked on the first shot on Running with Scissors. The funny thing about the disc is that it not only wouldn't recognize the disc, but it also wouldn't recognize any discs I put in thereafter until I rebooted. Weird.

Either way the Fab beta worked like a charm.

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, I would try a defrag, diskclean and reg clean at this point. Burning frags you up bad (this I learned from Blink, HI BLINK, and it has solved some mysterious WTF problems such as you describe) especially when you report sometimes good results with ripit 1.6.8.0. Which others have had success with for these titles. I would be interested to know if you still had consistency issues after this process.

9. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

hey all,

thanks for the input. well, it's still a mystery to me... why some drives recognize the disc, some don't, some didn't and then did, some software didn't work then did. it makes no sense at all. kinda like people and life in general, huh?

@kitty
    i defrag weekly, but will try reg clean. seems weird that the one computer that never could read the dvd is the newest one and has two drives from different manufacturers (philips and sony). right now i've got my backups and have put way way way too much time into playing around with them... so i'll have to put off the "test for consistency" for another time... maybe the next round of sony releases!

thanks again to all who replied. i was relieved to see that i wasn't the only one who was having the problems, including the drives not recognizing the disc at all... i'd be curious to hear from those folks as to how they solved their problem. did you do something specific to change things, or did you just keep doing the same thing over and over and it finally worked (like me)?

mahalo and aloha!

10. paschal93

paschal93 Guest

surfgeo-So what program did you end up using to make these backups?

11. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

@paschal93

well, between the 3 computers, 4 drives, trying different versions of the software(s) and getting a constantly changing variety of error messages over hours of playing with the stuff... my head was swimming. i ended up using both ripit4me and dvdfab. did movie only. they both worked on two computers (once those two computers could "see" the disc). for one computer nothing worked... because the disc was/is still not showing up ("no disc in drive") on my new dell with the philips and sony drives. because a few other people have reported the same problems (drive(s) can't see disc, etc.), while others report no problems whatsoever, i'm left to believe that it has to do with some idiosyncracy of my systems and/or the original disc itself. it still makes no sense to me that none of the computers recognized the disc, and then finally two of them did, without me doing anything to change either system at all. from what i'm reading, all the up to date software (anydvd, dvdfab, ripit4me) will do the job unless you have some cranky computer(s) like mine. good luck!

12. binkie7

@surfgeo
    My drives will read them but my laptop sometimes sounds like it's going to explode trying to read these heavier protected ones.
    I have an hp laptop too w/ a Matshita drive (the middle of the name suits this drive perfectly :)

@kitty66
    Hey there
    lol- yep the defrag :) It really is surprising after you rip a few movies how defragged the hard drive can get.

13. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Once you find an optical drive that works on your PC use RipIt4me 1.6.6.0 which created a PSL my to my C:drive with decrypter. I then backed up the file using NERO Recode2. I backed up this ttle a couple of weeks ago and reported on this trouble then. RipIt4me along with a drive that detects the disc works.;P

14. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@Blink! OMG mine sounded like it was going to explode as well. It had me worried for a few minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT all was well and flawless backups were created. Those heavily encrypted gonzo's make your poor laptop work HARD! So...perhaps it is not just the Matshita drive? lol Hope you're having a good one.

15. binkie7

Hey kitty66
    Nah probably not just limited to the Matshita drives.
    Laptop drives imho just ain't as good as their pc counterparts.
    Some probably are better than others cause they have firmware support but me and too many of my friends find them a little fickle :)

TGIF

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I've never had any experience with them but a lot of owners write the name of their drives as Mat-shit-a. Some people have even gone so far as to replace them even before they died. If yours is working good, consider yourself among the lucky.

I've been using RI4M for all the difficult titles. Talladega Nights, Saw 3, Gridiron Gang, Open Season and others that have been making AnyDVD and DVDFab Decrypter act up. RI4M decrypts, cleans, and processes for compliance all with the 1-Click mode. I can use the other software to decrypt and then run the files through FixVTS and get some of them to work. RI4M has been the easiest and most reliable lately and has become my "go to" program for doing the new releases.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

surfgeo
    Strange problem, but there's too many people having success for it to be the software. RI4M has turned out to be a "beast" for taking out the new copy protections.

18. surfgeo

surfgeo Regular member

@pacman777

yeah, strange indeed. i've read a few other forums re these new sony releases not being readable at all ("no disc in drive") for other people besides myself on various drives by different drive manufacturers. i STILL don't understand how it could change from "no disc in drive" to reading it... without making any changes to the system. oh well. maybe the sony folks have targeted certain drives (including sony drives in my case) and programmed the disc to be unreadable the first 9 times you try to back it up... then they figure if the person is tenacious enough to try 10 times, let them back it up! ;-)

i usually find ri4m to be reliable, but in this case for "boynton beach club" the dvddecrypter phase got hungup being unable to import a proper psl... or something... i can't exactly remember... i do know that i tried at least three times once the disc was being read by my drive, and dvddecrypter just couldn't do it. dvdfab worked. go figure. i'll be curious to see how my various computers/drives handle the next round of sony discs.

19. lash46

lash46 Guest

i burned saw 3,running with sissors and open season using rip it for me dvd decrypter and dvd shrink.everything worked out fine.played on computer and dvd player.was able to make copies of them also.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

lash46
    Thanks for the input. I was just going to comment that it's probably more of surfgeo's PC problems because the software has been working well for most people. Strange it's happening with multiple PCs though.