1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with older burned movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by navy64, Feb 16, 2005.

1. navy64

navy64 Member

I am unsure what the problem is but I have noticed that movies that were copied a long time ago start to skip ahead about half way through the film. I have watched the same discs in the past with no problems. I am using Verbatim DVD+R discs and DVD shrink to back up my movies. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Some media goes bad after time. Also could be do you have labels on those older disks?

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Try downloaded a freeware called DVDinfoPro.com.

The link is below but you have to search around to find just the freeware version. It says that it expires on 1/3/2005 but it really doesn't. Once installed you can test your media, burned or new, for CRC errors. If they are good still, then you could re-burn them to a better media since that is the cause of your problems.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

4. navy64

navy64 Member

I have labeled the older discs...what brand of disk would you recommend to make sure the discs stay usable for a long time?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Tayio Yuden

The labels are more than likely the root of your problem. It has been said thet the glue from the label after time can cause problems to the dye on the disk. If you really want to label your disks look at investing in the Epson R200 printer. It will print directly onto inkjet printable media and as stated at the top of my post go with Taiyo Yuden media and you will be good to go!

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If you live near a Costco, the R300 is on sale for $99.99 now.

7. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

It is risky but you can soak the labels off, this has worked for me on some older discs that stopped playing. When you get the label off, rip then to the hard drive and re burn. I had ten discs with labels that refused to play and got crc errors trying to copy, once the labels were removed I was able to copy all but two..

8. wavegravy

wavegravy Member

Have also encountered dvd-r going bad.I stopped using labels and have used good media,Ridek go4. Movies had played perfectly for quite a while and now some are starting to skip about half way through movie.I'm at a loss to explain.Any ideas?

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I believe people are starting to hve more and more problems with those Ritek's everyonr used to think were so good! I have some movies I backed up with those same Ritek G04 about 6 months ago though and they still play fine for me. So how long are you talking?

10. wavegravy

wavegravy Member

about 3 months. Do you think the burn speed effects durability of burn?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No I don't believe that at all, and either do most of the "Seniors" here. Now if you are burning a disk at a higher speed than it was designed for that could be a problem, but again the problem would have arose right away if that were the problem and not 3 months later. I do believe how much you compress the movie can effect the quality which is why I only back up the main movie. How about you do you back up the whole DVD or reauthor it and do only the main movie?

12. wavegravy

wavegravy Member

depends on the movie. Most of the time the extras on the movie really suck, so I just burn the main movie.When I first started backing up movies, I noticed that the compatability between dvd players was effected by burn speed and quality of media. When I started using 4x Rideks'G04 almost all problems disappeared. It's only now I've noticed some disc's are startng to skip.