1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Pioneer A03 w/ DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dRD, May 3, 2002.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ok, just recently got this burner and I'm already experiencing major problems.

I've managed to burn nice bunch of regular CDRs with no prob and finally got first blank DVDs few days ago -- DVD-RWs, as all DVD-Rs were sold out. Immediate problems that I need some assistance with:

-I stick a DVD-RW in and open Primo and it takes appx. 7 minutes for it to understand that there is DVD-RW inside the drive.
    -After it has recognized it, trying to erase or burn something to media causes that it looks like its doing something for about 2mins and then returns an error and ejects the DVD-RW.

I'm using Datasafe Media DVD-RWs. Pioneer's Aus website suggested to switch from DMA to PIO for my Secondary IDE spot, but it didn't solve anything.

2. magicbin

magicbin Guest

Have you initialised the DVD-RW for first write?
    Check another burning proggie (dvddecryptor or similar).

Hope this helps.

3. dRD

Isn't Prassi/Nero supposed to do this once you select erase rewritable/full erase?

And I've tried DVD Decrypter as well, with bad results. I think I'm gonna try to switch the drive from being secondary master to primary slave and see if it helps at all.

4. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

My DVR-103 (OEM A03) is just dandy with secondary IDE master + DMA. Do you have other devices on the IDE? Maybe worthwhile disconnecting just for troubleshooting. 7 minutes for Primo to see the disc is far too long, even for an uninitialized RW.

5. dRD

I have two HDDs in primary IDE and only the Pioneer in secondary IDE spot as a secondary master.

I tried to switch the order so that I had Pioneer as my primary slave and my other HDD as my secondary master, but that didn't help either.

I've also turned the damn DMA/PIO switch at least 10 times so far, in Win2k and also in WinME. Getting kinda desperate soon :) Gotta mail to Pioneer support..

6. mscogna

mscogna Member

Hey dRD,
    I had problems using Prassi also....so I switched to InstantDVD.

7. dRD

Now I just need to find that somewhere :)

8. dRD

I'm hoping to get the blank DVD-Rs by end of next week from mail, so I can see if the problem is just with the DVD-RW media I bought or is the whole DVD burning somehow __cked up, which would be weird since the CD burning works perfectly.

9. mscogna

mscogna Member

Go here :

http://www.vob.de/de/Downloads.htm

You get 30 day full working trial version.
    After 30 days, you can unlock over the internet
    for $49.00 US.

Hey, while I am talking to you....I am experiencing a problem recently and I am not sure if it is the media or Sony DVD Player. I have written a couple discs lately and when I put them in the Sony, I get a "Disc Dirty" error message. If I put the same disc in my PC, it plays okay. Any clues???

10. dRD

Thanks, I'll check that one out, if it would help me in my prob.

And that sounds weird, only thing what comes to my mind now is that if you've used DVD-RWs, you need to close the disc, otherwise you get probs with it. But it sounds definately like a media issue, if you have successfully burned other DVDs and played them with your Sony ok.

11. mscogna

mscogna Member

Using DVD-R

I thought maybe I was experiencing a problem with my A03, since you told me about the heating problem, so I put my new A04 in last night and that's as far as I have got. I am using the media I got from CDROM2GO, so I am thinking maybe it is media. I have some Pioneer
    Brand DVD-R's, so I am going to write the same exact files tonight and see if it plays. Another question for you.... I read in a forum that you should use the DVD Play button to start the movie in IFOedit to see what titles it uses. It returned that it used 1 and 6. So, I am understanding correctly that along with the VIDEO_TS files and the VTS_01_x files (main movie), I need the VTS_06_x files as well to make it work correctly???

Last edited: May 8, 2002
  12. dRD

Sorry man, haven't got that far yet with the authoring since the frigging DVD burning has caused issues, but hopefully I can get you detailed infos and one of those aD-style step-by-step guides for IFOEdit as well by end of next week :)

And yeah, see what happens when you burn it to brand media and post your results, so we get somekinda feedback on DVD media quality as well.

13. mscogna

mscogna Member

No prob.... Maybe somebody reading this has some 411 on this issue..... I have burned other movies with just the main movie files and the VIDEO_TS files and they play fine. A question for anyone reading this is..... Do some movies jump around in VTS files so that you are required to have more then just the main movie and VIDEO_TS??? I think I will open a new thread and see what response I get.

14. mikeyc

mikeyc Member

Hey... I am new at this, and it appears that mscogna knows a little about what's going on?
    or..maybe someone can help me! I got the A03 a few months ago, and to some dismay, was a little ticked that you can simply not copy a DVD movie as you can a CD, so....in the progress of trying to learn how to make use of this equipment, could someone please tell me or send me a quide of what you do with the VOB files once you rip them?? ie..what do you have to do to them to burn them back onto a DVD-R 2.0? Do you have to convert them to another format first or what? I have Prassi, and Sonic DVD, and several others, just would appreciate a little assistance!! Thanks in advance! Please feel free to email me @ mikeyc4fun@hotmail.com

15. dRD

mikeyc: Go and look through this forum, the three different methods that are suitable for DVD backups are described very well in here.

16. digger

digger Member

75% STANDALONE DVDS DO NOT READ DVDR'S THE MORE YOU PLAY FOR YOUR DVD PLAYER THE LESS CHANCE THERE IS OF IT PLAYING DVDS IF IT PLAYS MP3'S THEN THERES A CHANCE IT MIGHT THE ONLY PLAYER IVE SEEN THAT GUARANTEES THAT DVDR'S WORK ON IT IS BEING SOLD AT BIGPOCKETS.CO.UK

17. digger

digger Member

ANOTHER POINT WHEN YOU RIP A DVD TO YOUR HARDDRIVE TO BURN YOU CHANGE THE IFO FILE DVD PLAYERS CHECK THIS FILE BEFORE PLAY AND IF ITS NOT CORRECT REFUSES TO PLAY OR WILL FINISH TOO SOON USE IFOEDIT TO CORRECT THE IFO FILES BEFORE BURNBACK TO ENSURE THE DVDR MOVIE WORKS

18. dRD

digger: BS. It's just matter of finding quality DVD-R media as some players tend to be more picky.

But according to extremely trustworthy list of VCDHelp -- they have 908 DVD players listed, almost 400 those were confirmed to play DVD-Rs and only 10 or so were marked not DVD-R compatible.

For example, all Pioneer and Sony players are confirmed to play DVD-Rs.

(and really NO NEED TO YELL... :)

19. digger

digger Member

ive tried nearly every dvdr out there and belive me theres a lot. I made sample discs and got them played on loads of players I even went to a high street store with the best dvdr ive found and tested their playback. most units will start to play dvds but once the unit warms up the focus changes and the dvdr skips and will not play ive looked at the technical side as well and stripped several standalones apart and looked at the way they work this is something ive spent a long time looking into. The standalones that work the best use standard ide drives and pc internal hardware (pc based that is) the more you pay for a dvd unit the less chance it will work also. The reason people dont always notice the compatability is it only starts to break down when you use a long file ie the lord of the rings the unit heats up and loses focus on the dvdr a standard dvd does not have this problem as the burn method or pressing is much stonger that the weak burn on a dvdr Thats my opinion anyway

20. digger

digger Member

as for all sony units play dvdrs thats crap ive tested loads of sonys and used the best dvdr's most sonys wont even recognise there a disc in the unit