1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with PS2 disassembly, What did Sony use? Superglue? :(

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by dnunnally, Nov 2, 2004.

1. dnunnally

dnunnally Guest

Hello all, I have just purchased a DMS3+ modchip for my V4 PS2! Hooray!!

But, Disassembly is the problem here. Everything was going easy until I got to the mainboard screws. There are 9 of them but 4 are immpossible to remove.

http://www.modking.com/bin/ps2v4_12.htm

Numbers are 4, 5, 7, 9.......immposible to turn :(
    Super glue under there? Anyone had this happen? Anyone have the fix? What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks to anyone with information of this. Your help is much appreciated. :)

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

I had the same problem.
    I believe there is lock-tite on the threads. Try gently warming them with a pointed soldering iron tip, this should soften it up and make it easier to remove them. Dont over heat them though incase you damage anything on the board that may be nearby.
    Hope this works for you.

3. dnunnally

dnunnally Guest

I had that idea of thread locker on those or something. I was just scared I might damage something under it. I will give that a shot!!

Thanks for your help.

4. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

If I remember right, these screws go into the metal plate on the other side of the board, so as long as you dont hold the heat on too long, it should be ok.

5. dnunnally

dnunnally Guest

Well, I held it on for about 10 seconds with no luck. Then I did it for 20 seconds and still no luck.

How long did you hold it on for? I believe I have a 40 Watt iron.

Thanks for your time.

Anyone else with any input on the subject?

6. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Probably about 20 - 30 seconds using a 30 watt soldering iron I believe, the screws were still tight then but seemed easier. I used a pair of pliars also to give a little bit of extra leverage, trouble is you need to be careful not to round off the screw. Perhaps one of those socket sets with little screw driver bits might do the job, so long as you can find one small enough.

7. dnunnally

dnunnally Guest

OK, that totally worked!! I got it.

I just had to stick with it. It looks like it is real easy to round those suckers off.

Thanks for your help today.

8. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

No problem mate, glad I could help.
    I just had a thought, are you using that 30 watt iron to fit the mod chip? I'd reccomend you use a 12 or 15 watt to minimise any risk of damage to the board.