1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with PSTwo (70012) and magic switch.

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by niq, Apr 5, 2005.

1. niq

niq Member

For some reason the PSTwo won't recognize the itself as closed, I have all 3 tools in the right place. The problem seems tool C, which is fully inserted, but doesn't block the sensor ( It works if I remove tool C, then close the lid just a bit ).

Anyone else have this problem?

2. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

try the "Ghost switch" http://www.saveware.com/GhostSwitchInstall.htm
    much easier and installs without voiding warranty!
    call:Toll Free Phone - Sales Orders and Product Information Only:
    Don Rieb Phone: 1-800-401-5180.
    I got mine(with Swap Disc 3.3) in two days for $32.80(shipping included)

3. pretense

pretense Regular member

That doesn't answer niq's question, and I hardly think he/she wants to spring for yet another set of switches after buying the magic switch =/ Not to mention that anyone can see from the installation that the ghost switch violates the warranty in at least two ways.

Unfortunately, all I can suggest is checking out www.swapmagic3.com, which has detailed pictures of the installation of tool C right on the very front page, as well as demo videos of how to install the magic switch. Hopefully that'll help out a bit.

4. mooogle

mooogle Member

that ghost switch only addresses 2 of the 3 sensors, how does the playstation still recognise that it is closed?

5. pretense

pretense Regular member

There are only [bold]two[/bold] lid sensors, mooogle. The magic switch's third plug is to deactivate/pull back the disc brake, otherwise discs would be unable to spin in the drive. For every other swap solution, the lid is closed, rather than open, so the tab on the lid naturally pulls back the disc brake rather than requiring an extra plug to do it.

6. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

take it easy there pretense. didnt mean to ruffle your feathers. I was only suggesting an alternative solution in case the magic switch didnt work out.(only about 4 or 5 bucks with shipping) and by the way I did install the ghost switch, which was very easy to do(took me about 15 minutes)and works perfectly. I also only saw one way the warranty might be voided if you look a little closer at the instructions(anyone can see,right). The sticker(seal) does not need to be broken if you follow the directions. The tab on th inside of the unit is only cut to make reassembly easier(does not have to be cut) The only tab that needs to be cut, is the one on the lid which could possibly void the warranty. And besides, the warranty is only 90 days (not 5 years or anything!)
    I would guess that most people looking into modding their PS2 has probably owned it that long or is probably not all that worried.

7. pretense

pretense Regular member

Incorrect. The warranty for all PStwo slims (including the original date code 4B models) has been expanded to one full year by Sony. So even the very first PStwos are still covered by warranty for at least a good half year or so.

Secondly, people are taking a severe risk by assuming that Sony will accept opened PStwos. It doesn't matter whether you tear the sticker or not; using the sticker as a hinge not only creates a noticeable crease, but also causes the white letters "VOID" to faintly show up your sticker, and you can bet that will be the first thing Sony reps will check when they receive your console. I've opened up my own PStwo to tape mod it, and I'm under no delusions that its warranty is likely void, even though I explicitly used the sticker as a hinge.

8. NaQQaF

NaQQaF Member

so from what I can hear what is the best..
    GHOST or the SWAP MAGIC thing?? and waht do u guys think I should get.
    I have the PS2 slim NTSC.

9. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

Swap Magic is what you would use to play your PS2 backups.
    Your PS2 then needs to be "modded" in order for the swap magic to work.
    There are many "methods" to go about modding your PS2.
    My personal favorite (and I think easiest) would be the "Ghost Switch"

10. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

didnt know about the warranty being extended.but still, all I was trying to do is put the Ghost Switch mod out there as an alternate solution. I see what you mean about the sticker but hey, however you go about modding your system, the warranty will probably be voided. So as I said, I used the Ghost switch mod and found it to be simple , effective, and cheap.

11. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

Come on pretense, you act like Sony is going to see that it may have been opened, and come to your house and confront you about it,then commence to beating you over the head with it(PS2),while screaming"so...you thought you could fool us ehh"

Lighten up a little:)

12. mbenoit

mbenoit Guest

Seriously though pretense,I gotta give you props man, I went through the forums looking for answers to some questions I had and guess who had them. Yup...you, along with some other great posts(the list) Much respect man(I really do think you should lighten up though!!)
    Peace.

13. sedgly

sedgly Guest

no one has answered the original thread. i am having the same problem dose any one know how to get magic switch to work. Or to get the swap magic disc to work.

14. Spicky

Spicky Member

i bought that piece of shit

the MAGIC SWITCH has trouble working because of tool C

its a flimsy piece of crap that you have to tug to the left when its about 80% in the hole and only works if u keep applying that pressure to the left

FYI: THERE ARE 3 non-chip ways to play backups on your slim ps2

MAGIC SWITCH

SLIM TOOL

GHOST SWITCH

are all DIFFERENT METHODS... try looking around the internet for PICTURES of what you want you ignorants www.google.com works well!

now, www.swapmagic3.com has a NEW AND IMPROVED "magic switch" which now lets you close the lid, even with the tool C inside

i just bought this piece of crap like 2 days before they released the newer one so i have this ugly key thats about to break from trying for hours to get the thing to work

GHOST SWITCH is good, BUT you have to be very careful about opening your ps2 up and you may have to saw off a little tiny nugget off your lid.... some fool in the thread was saying that "sony wouldnt chase you down for sawing it off..." this is TRUE, but if they notice that, they might also not send you a new ps2 if they dont feel to.

SLIM TOOL is in my opinion the best one.... just like magic switch... 3 pieces, all looking different, and your ps2 is able to close once installed, and no need to open your console... if i could only have a set

if you have your reciept, the store must have a return policy if your console messes up or melts for a minimum of maybe 7 days to even 6 months

SONY PS2 WARRANTY IS ONE (1) FULL YEAR FROM DATE OF PURCHASE WITH RETAIL RECIEPT

I CANT GET MY MAGIC SWITCH TO WORK WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. tomholden

tomholden Guest

the real trick: get a plastic straw, cut it the same lenght as an AA
    battery or slightly longer, then cut it lengthwise to reduce it
    perimeter by half. Squeeze it along its length so that it's flat. Then
    fold it in a V-shape and push it down between the hinge over sensor C.
    You have to fiddle with this part until you hit the right depth and
    position, but it didn't take long. The straw is flexible, so that the
    part sicking out easily bends when you close the lid. Or else, for
    sensor C you can use the tape-over-sensor method explained very clearly
    in http://www.jspot.net/ps2.htm

i used the straw and works gr8

u can also close the lid

u still need to use teh 2 other peices of plastic

16. zorok

zorok Member

I think I have this problem with magic switch...

on the instruction its says something like push the top part toward left a bit first.

what I did is, with the correct way the part "c" points down, I bend the bottom slightly toward right. BE VERY GENTLE! or else you'll break it.

||
    ||
    ||

that's part C looking right at it(ready to insert position).

||
    ||
    \\

bent, exaggerated, but you get the idea. a slight curve in mine works really well like 1 degrees off vertical

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  17. Spicky

Spicky Member

PERFECT

i used the straw!

WORKS LIKE A CHARM.... just put the tip of tool c in, then slide a flattened straw next to it and then slide tool c in all the way and fiddle just a little bit and ull be playing in a few seconds

but, yall people should BEND THE TOOL SLIGHTLY FIRST and fiddle around with it and make work in a way that if u let go itll think the lid is opened.... know what its like to have it work, THEN try the straw