1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with roxio crashing

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by harpyann, Aug 13, 2003.

1. harpyann

harpyann Member

hi all, i searched around and couldn't find this exact problem anywhere, although i could have sworn i saw it mentioned in one of the forums. i have no problem at all burning audio cds with roxio (i have ez cd creator 5 platinum), but more than half the time when i try to burn a vcd the process freezes, eventually crashing my entire computer. it always gets as far as creating the vcd layout and only crashes once the cd is actually being burned. i can get through the burning process successfully about one in every four tries, which means 3 ruined cd-rs for every successful vcd! has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have suggestions on fixing it? thanks in advance for your help.
    -ann

2. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Ive heard many times that roxio sucks for anything except music cd's.

try nero

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

definately, get rid of that useless program and get your hands on nero and vcdeasy!

4. harpyann

harpyann Member

thanks for the help! i downloaded nero and it seems to work just great for video, but does it always take over two hours to burn a vcd, or am i possibly doing something wrong with it? when roxio works, it takes about 15-20 minutes to burn a vcd of the same size/length, so i was just curious. thanks again!

5. Dela

nero must be re-encoding it first, dont do that use something else to encode first then nero to burn because the quality of a nero encode is terrible http://www.afterdawn.com/articles

6. harpyann

harpyann Member

hm...this is tricky. any files i burned with nero were already encoded (and i actually encode them step by step with the smartripper/dvd2avi/tmpge method listed in the articles here), so i don't know why nero would try to encode them again. is there a way to prevent that from happening?

7. Dela

hmmm, when u encoded, did u use the project wizard?

8. harpyann

harpyann Member

no, i don't use a wizard...i actually do exactly what it says to do in this tutorial: http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm and when i've been successful with roxio, it's worked perfectly. once i've encoded files with tmpgenc, shouldn't they also be fine to be burned using nero without additional encoding? i tried burning the same mpeg with both roxio and nero, and roxio took about 15 minutes while nero took over 2 hours. i just don't know if there's a way to prevent nero from trying to encode it again...any suggestions? oh, and i also have another problem i can't seem to troubleshoot--i tried to burn a 675mb file to a 900mb disc and nero requested a 2nd disc before it was done. i've never seen this happen--any ideas? thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2003
  9. Dela

Ah well there is definately something wrong then because if u already encoded it with TMPGenc, nero shouldnt ask for a second disc!! This is too damn strange, i dont understand why nero would need to encode again :s

10. harpyann

harpyann Member

just checking to see if anyone may have any suggestions. i don't know what else to try--roxio crashes almost every time i try to burn the mpeg and nero re-encodes it--and badly! i made a nero copy of one of the vcds i made with roxio after encoding with tmgpenc and the nero copy quality is some of the worst i've seen. while roxio works great for quality when it DOES work, i'm ruining far too many perfectly good blank cd-rs to make it worth it. has anyone else had a similar problem with nero re-encoding? thanks again.

11. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Ive heard Roxio and Nero don't do good when both programs are on your computer

maybe uninstalling one may fix at least one of these probs.

12. Dela

they dont because roxio often has directcd running with it and that causes nero a lot of trouble!

13. harpyann

harpyann Member

i solved this problem! i feel sort of stupid, but i don't want nero to take the blame, so i thought i'd post. i was just going to the nero startsmart icon and not paying attention to what i was actually opening when i chose video cd...turns out i was using vision express rather than the simple burning program. i upgraded from the demo to the full version and made a perfect dvd-quality vcd with it this morning, and in about 20 minutes. thanks for all the suggestion and help anyway!

14. Dela

dvd quality with nero on VCD?? ill believe that one when i see it ;-)