1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with slow downloads with BT Hub

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by fanny6, Jun 9, 2007.

1. fanny6

fanny6 Member

I have recently purchased a BT hub and the wireless is working great but when i try to download from BitTorrent the downloads are very slow, I have read about changing or opening ports to increase the speed but am unsure of how to do this in the BT hub menu.

If anyone can help with this it would be very much appreciated

Thanks

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

3. fanny6

fanny6 Member

Thanks for that mistycat it has speed up a bit but i am only getting downloads of a maximum of 8k, it should be wizzing through them with the speed of the broadband so don't quite understand why it's not, any more suggestions???

Cheers

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Could be your ISP is blocking torrents, check here: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs What client and port are you using and have you set a static ip address; use the address you see at ipconfig/all and nowhere else, they can be incorrect. Setting correct upload speed can affect download speed but not to that degree and seeds, peers and connections have great deal of influence. You will never see downloads matching your bandwidth; this is very rough but 10% - 15%, some are faster.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  5. fanny6

fanny6 Member

According to that link you told me to look at BT Broadband does limit bit torrent bandwidth but I have a friend who has the same package and gets much faster downloads than me.
    The port I am using is 58617 and I have no idea if I have set a static IP address ( how do I find that out?)

On the connection tab on utorrent under bandwidth limiting the global maximum upload rate is 6 is this what you mean by upload speed?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

The link above explains how to set a static ip. You will see it at start>control panel>network connections>LAN>properties>internet protocol and will have "select automatically" (dynamic) or be set to static. If you didn't set it static, it won't be. You set your upload speed in utorrent by running a speed test and select the nearest figure to your upload speed at options>speed guide>connection type (drop down box) and select "use these settings". Your friend and you won't see the same speeds unless you're downloading the same torrent and have the same connection to seeds and peers. You could try downloading overnight to see if that helps.

7. fanny6

fanny6 Member

It is still a pretty crap speed, it is about the same as I had before when I was on with tesco.

From the looks of it I am not the only one having problems with BT hub, god damn them!!

It's really annoying

8. fanny6

fanny6 Member

OK people I need your help again with this damned thing.
    I am having problems again, there is a small exclamation mark in a yellow triangle at the bottom right of the utorrent screen and when i click on it click the "Test if port is forwareded properly" it is saying that there is an error and the port does not seem to be open, I have just had to go through the whole process again of getting the ip address etc on the tcp/ip and then putting the port number in my bthub so that it works better but it doesn't seem to have made much difference and I am lost with all this as I can't figure out where I am going wrong.

One question though, does my IP address change every time I log on the pc or is it supposed to stay the same?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Your ip address may be changed each time you start. Set a static ip address and it can't change, just pay attention to the part about your DNS server and Default Gateway having the same address and use the address you see at ip config/all, nowhere else: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm