1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with slow load times with copied PS2 games

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by angel5432, May 10, 2007.

1. angel5432

angel5432 Member

It has been about 2 month since I had my PS2 slim modded and its been working fine running orignal games that I bought, but I have never tried any copied games until recently. I downloaded a game and burnt it on a Ridata 16x DVD-R at 4x speed, the game loaded fine but a little slow and at certain cutscenes the audio would skip and going into battle takes 1 to 2 minutes to load.
    I went to my friends place and tested it on his modded PS2 and it was working perfectly and the loading time was much more quicker then mine... I had my friend burnt the game again onto one of the disk he uses(I think it was a Taiyo Yuden brand)and he always burns his games at the maximum speed (I think it was either 8x or 12x), and it always work for his PS2.
    When I got back home and tried to test it, it got even worse, the skipping became more frequent with the copy he made.
    It really fustrates me when I don't know whats wrong with it, it has been recently modded and I thought for sure I would be able to play some copied games properly.
    So if anyone one has any advice or solution that can help I would really appriecate it a lot. Thanks

2. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Have you tried to use DVD+Rs and not DVD-Rs? Slim PS2s are known to have problems reading DVD-Rs and prefer DVD+Rs instead. There are some exceptions where slim PS2s can read DVD-Rs too, but there are also those that can't and can only read DVD+Rs like mine.

Edit: the words in italics is what I edited.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. angel5432

angel5432 Member

Is there a particular brand of DVD+R that is recommended to burn with? The DVD+R brands I currently have is Fujifilm.
    My friend has a slim PS2 as well but he got his modded 2 years ago and his works fine with DVD-Rs.
    But what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

4. masumane

masumane Member

Only DVD+R can be booktyped so the PS2 reads it as a DVD-ROM instead.

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

As for what brands of DVD+Rs, I especially recommend Taiyo Yuden. As for other brands, there are also Sony, Verbatim, Maxell and Ritek. When you burnt your game onto that DVD-R Ridata, did you update the firmware on your burner before you used that? Maybe you should consider reburning the game at a slower burn speed and see if the results may have improved. If the results don't improve at all, try switching to DVD+Rs, not your Fujifilm, and see how it goes. And by the way, when your friend burnt you that game on one of his Taiyo Yuden disc, did he extract the files from the ISO on the Ridata you burnt the game onto or did he get the ISO from the original game?

Edit: What chip is it anyway?

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  6. angel5432

angel5432 Member

I burnt the DVD-R Ridata on a spanking new pioneer dvd burner so I don't think thats the problem. The slowest speed I could burn on the Ridata is 4x. But yes compared to the copy I burnt to the copy that my friend burnt at max speed mine played more better but still its a tad slow on loading. The Taiyo Yuden disc that he burnt, he burn from the same iso that I downloaded.
    As for the chip its an Apple ES, I got it from the same place that my friend got his... but his could be different since he got his modded 2 years ago.

7. angel5432

angel5432 Member

Yeah, now it's working perfectly!. Thank you everyone on the forum for mentioning the DVD+R, I burnt the game again, but this time on Maxwell DVD+R and it works perfectly. The game loads fast and doesn't skip.

8. ashvin_c

ashvin_c Member

i have a slim ps2 (SCPH 75004) i dont know which version is it? i think it is v14.so what dvd should i use to burn ps2 games?dvd-r or dvd+r .
    plz can anyone help me??

9. cicci4

cicci4 Member

I am using a new ps2 slim (SCPH 75004).
    I have Swap Magic 3.6 plus Cd/DVD.
    I have backups of DVD games on 4x,5x,8x speed burnt( Nero, DVD Decrypter, Clone dvd, Alcohol) to Verbatim 16x DVD+R.
    I have a LG gsa-h21l burner (minimun DVD write speed 4x).

I have,on all my backups, slow loading times.
    Can you please help me?

Thanks.