1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with SM 3.3, backing up ps2 the whole shabangabang

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by sherm505, Mar 27, 2005.

1. sherm505

sherm505 Guest

Ok i got the SM 3.3, the DVD burner and the flip top ps2. I've used Alcohol 120%, nero, dvd decrypter with any dvd running in the background, nothing. Read all the instructions step by step, coasters. Rebuilt iso and images file with isoblaster, skunked. I've gone through 15 DVD-R with no luck. The closes I've gotten is the PS2 reconizes the discs but it just loads it in the disc/memory card screen and when I click the disc the screen goes blank and back to the previous screen. It wont load the game. Someone help I'm going nuts. Thank you.
    Benq DVD-R all the different software Swap Magic 3.3.

2. Slots2

Slots2 Guest

Having the same problem Burned Mercenaries go the credit screeen then it froze.

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Sherm- Use better media.
    i recommend verbatim (mcc) or fujifilm (yuden).
    Ps2 is picky about the media.
    Cheap media will not work.

Also burn speed is important burn at 2x MAX.

TURN OFF ANY BACKGROUND APPLICATIONS
    YOU DO NOT NEED ANY_DVD running,
    There are no encryptuions on ps2 games.

1. Take the ps2 game put it in the dvd rom or dvd burner, your choice.

2. open the dvd decryptor program then go to to tool bar and hit MODE>ISO>READ. Then choose the correct dvd drive that the game is in as the "source". Also choose where you want the files to be stored on the pc hdd. THEN CLICK DECRYPT , or the huge graphical picture at the bottom of the program which makes it run. The game is now copying to your HDD. Take the game out when finished (it might take a while).

3. Go to the same tab in dvd decryptor and choose MODE>ISO>WRITE. This will then let you look for the files you just created in step 2. Select the file that you just created. (There is only 2 files creadted so pick the .mds) (The smaller file)Then click WRITE, make sure there is blank DVD in the drive.

4. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

You may not have coasters, it may simply be that a lower step was not done right.

For starters, what version PS2 do you have? Different versions have different quirks. Most notably, some PS2s will not read DVD-Rs, some will only read only DVD+Rs, some will do both, and some will do none, so it's important that you get us what version it is.

Second, when you say the PS2 recognizes the discs : Do you put in swap magic, and get the swap magic screen, or is it not even doing that? If that's the case, then try putting in an original game (without at all trying to use Swap Magic) if an original won't boot, then you might have installed the fliptop wrong (this is exactly what happened to me)

If originals load, movies load, burned movies load, but Swap Magic won't, it may be a bad swap magic disc.

If swap magic loads, but your backups won't, it may be the media you're using.

It could be a million things, but you need to be more specific for us to help you with your specific problem.

So, give us this :
    1.) What version
    2.) What fliptop (or at least from where)
    3.) What games you're trying to backup
    4.) What media you've been using (Benq, you say?)
    5.) How far you can go with the fliptop/without it
    (like the way that I just described above)

Give us that, and we can probably answer your questions with a couple more posts.

5. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Slots-2
    mercaneries needs a patch.
    search the forums you will find it.

6. RemyK313

RemyK313 Regular member

Jizmak, how good are Taiyo Yudens? I recently went to Fry's Electronics and bought a pack of Fujifilm DVD+Rs. A DVD profiler said they were Taiyo Yuden discs, however, something weird happened.

Burning at 1x gave me some weird problems with my LiteOn SOHW-832S DVD+R burner. The games would load... once, then eventually I'd start getting ridiculous load times, and eventually my backups wouldn't boot at all.

I almost feared that it might have been a problem with my burner, but then I realized that even all the games that I ever burned with Fujifilm discs that were still working, had a LOT of skips when reading movies and long load times.

After burning 4 coasters of Initial D : Special Stage, I went out, bought Sony branded discs (RICOHJPN) for three times the price (blegh) and have been very satisfied with the results. None of my sony discs have ever skipped. Their load times are not any longer, and, well they just WORK better.

So, see if you can confirm what I'm saying. Maybe I just got a bad batch of Fujifilm discs. Or Fakes..... but to get TWO 25-packs of bad discs from a name that's supposedly "proven" to be good seems a little more than mere coincidence.

7. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

The ones i use are (made in japan) and they id as (yuden).
    I have heard they are some that were made in tiawan
    that are terrible.
    I always buy mine locally at Best-buy.
    (And i make sure they say made in japan).
    I never had any problems with TY disks.

Here is a dvd rating site.
    Both verbatim (mcc) and ty are at the top.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

The following list is in preference order. The best discs are near the top of the list.

Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
    PVC = Pioneer = (-R)(-RW)
    MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)<-----------------VERBATIM MY CHOICE #1
    TDKG02 = TDK Corp = (-R) ... be aware of unbranded fakes
    TAIYOYUDEN or YUDEN = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)<--------------FUJIFILM (made in japan) MY CHOICE #2

8. Slots2

Slots2 Guest

Jizmak, I cant get anything to burn and work did MLB2005 Nero stopped saying illegal disk..

9. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

slots.
    use dvd decrypter instead.

10. Slots2

Slots2 Guest

That crashes to . no problems doing movies but PS2 games are almost impossible

11. sherm505

sherm505 Guest

thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  12. Slots2

Slots2 Guest

I want to know what an illegal disk is..

13. sherm505

sherm505 Guest

RemyK313
    ps2: V4
    flip top: from GO CYBER SHOP
    games trying to backup: so far NHL 2005 and my TH underground
    Media: Benq DVD +/- R, Ul Tran 4X DVD-R Media [4.7GB / Thermal Top]
    The swap magic boots fine but either the ps2 wont reconize the disc or it wont play the game i.e. goes to the screen were you can choose between the memory card and the ps2 disc.

14. sherm505

sherm505 Guest

also when I tell nero, 120% or dvd decrypter to burn @ 1x it always goes back to 4-5x when the burn process starts??????