1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with The Forgotten

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by vike, Jan 18, 2005.

1. vike

vike Member

Unable to successfully compress full disk of forgotten error message reads ifo does not match vob but upon inspection they seem to match. Movie only does not compress remaining continues to go up...up...
    up... I am able to watch vob files on my monitor though and dvd decrypter did successful rip. Help!
    Thanks in advance for advice or comments.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi vike, welcome to aD,

If I understand you (which is hard to do . . .) you ripped The Forgotten using DVDD.

I have no idea at all what you're saying there -

So I'll just ask, if you don't mind, what format are your working with ?

Have you attempted to work with other proggys ? If so, which ones ?

Pete

Perhaps a little forthought BEFORE posting would help pple help you -

Pete

3. vike

vike Member

I read my original message and yeah, it's incomprehensible. Decrypted using DVDD and attempted to compress in full disk mode. Got error message "ifo file does not match vob" then the "processing canceled" message. Upon inspection the 2 files seemed to match. DVDDecrypter gave me the all files successfully backed up message and I can watch the movie on my hard drive. Tried movie only mode and it would not compress, the time remaining counter continued to climb without any discernible results on my output. Thanks, put a little thought into post this time.

4. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

The Forgotten is a DVD produced by sony using brand new copy protection. You can read about it here in the latest afterdawn newsletter:

"A new version of SONY's DVD copy protection system ARccOS has been compromised. The protection is on the DVD version of the movie "The Forgotten" scheduled for DVD release on January 18th 2005. Today, January 17th, The new version of the popular tool AnyDVD by the Antiguan software company SlySoft, which eliminates this protection, was released. "We remove copy protections faster, than the movie industry can deploy them" says SlySoft's CEO Giancarlo Bettini very pleased. "Maybe the movie industry will start to reconsider using these useless copy protections. They cost money and may cause compatibility problems with the customer's equipment". "

I have never used this program so I cannot tell you any more about it but, I did see The Forgotten and I hated it.

5. jdb0xd

jdb0xd Member

So all, is it my understanding that DVD shrink 3.2 will not decode Forgotton? If this version will, please post how to so computer nubees like me can understand.

Thanks

All

6. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

I backed up my original The Forgotten fine. I used DVD Decrypter to copy files to my HD. Then I used Nero 6.6 to compress and burn the movie only.

Now the DVD Decrypter did take approx. 45 min to finish. Which is not normal, but I also hear that this DVD has some new kind of Sony protection so it did take longer to crack it. Just my experience.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Another new protection called Settec ALPHA-DVD, has been broken by AnyDVD a full, 24 hours BEFORE it was released. Currently, AnyDVD can break any encryption the DVD industry has come up with. DVD Decrypter is close behind, being capable of ripping 99.5% of the DVD encryption and should be considered strongly as a "must have" for those dependant upon Freeware.

As of this date, no one can beat AnyDVD for decrypting –

A fully functioning AnyDVD is available for a 21-day trial spin after-which it may be purchased for the low, low price of $39.99 (USD)

AnyDVD ~ ~> http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html

IMHO, it is well worth the $$$. I know of no one who has purchased it and then been unhappy about their decision.

Pete

8. 0u812

0u812 Guest

just opened my account thought i would throw my two cents worth in ben using this sight for a while like it very informative used shrink and new anydvd works fine just got through with forgotten worked fine

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there 0u812,
    welcome to our little club

Jump in anytime, we're glad to jhave new pple

Pete

10. CapnHowdy

CapnHowdy Guest

hi there ppl...thanx for being there for me when i need it...so heres my two cents worth...i used dvd decrypter, worked fine, still the file was waaaayyy too long to burn...then i opened up dvd shrink...looked for the file on it...picked it...RE-AUTHORED IT and shrinked it...the opened up nero and voilá...just saw it...beautiful...hope this hepls...see ya...

11. CapnHowdy

CapnHowdy Guest

forgot to tell you that i included everything on it...even the special features...only skipped the thai and french subtitles and audio( who needs the french anyway? )...lol

12. vike

vike Member

Ok, I am able to decrypt movie, no problem there. However, I notice no one has said that they have been able to successfully compress movie using dvd2one, so I downloaded DVD Shrink and I'll try that. Thanks to everyone for their comments and help, 'specially you Scuba Pete.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

vike,

Me. Me, I have . . . (waving my hand in the air)

Call on me - I've done it . . . .

Not only have I done it, I've used DVD2One to put as many as 5, DVD-5's on a single disc and as many as 4 DVD-9's on a single disc - Both with the quality of first-generation VHS tapes. Not all that bad for that number of full lengths movies.

I did trim all opening frames from the beginning and credits from the end of the above mentioned DVD's.to fit them on with such good results. I swear by DVD2One and it will compress (with excellent results) your DVD's.

NOTE: I have set my file size of DVD2One to 4360MB -the same as I have it on all my other adjustable backup proggys.

Hope that will change your mind -

Pete

14. mastran

mastran Member

Unfortunately, while DVDD successfully ripped Forgotten (Catwoman, etc.) to disk, neither DVDShrink nor DVD2ONE was able to compress it. Receive various errors, including "cannot open VOB_x". Any help to resolve continuing problems once and for all would be great.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If it was ripped in the "File" mode by DVDD there should by no reason why it shouldn't be compressed by DVD Shrink DVD2One, Recode or any other proggy around . . .

Having said that I'm still waiting for my copy and after I tried it, if it cannot be done, I'll retract my statement . . .

Pete

16. rodeh7

rodeh7 Member

OK so DVDXCopy is now useless. I can't backup The Forgotten or Resident Evil 2. I read all the posts and tried Anydvd and DVDshrink. All are fine except that you need Nero to burn which apparently you have to pay for now. I guess they saw an opportunity to exploit users of DVDXCopy and pulled their demo copy. Is there any burn engine out there I can try first before kicking out the $ ?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No, not right, it is quite apparent that you haven't read all the posts, not even close OR you would have seen that many, many, many pple use DVDD to burn AND reading just a little further you would discover that it is FREE.

(All the posts my foot . . . .)

18. brobear

brobear Guest

The Forgotten posed some interesting situations. I ripped it with DVD Decrypter (AnyDVD running in the background) and then used RB/CCE and DVD Shrink. RB/CCE does the best encode, superior to DVD Shrink (but it takes about 2.5 to 3 hours for the encode). The resulting file was burned with Nero Express. I got an error saying the file might not play properly. Knowing better, I overrode the warning and recorded. The disc plays perfect. The fault is bogus info in VTS_17_0.IFO (if I remember the file correctly, didn't write it down). Interesting is that one can run the finished, encoded file through Shrink (no compression) and the file structure is corrected to where the error warning doesn't come up.

DVD Shrink handled the Decrypter ripped files without any trouble. With the quality settings turned on, I was able to record the whole disc with a good picture.

The best quality was from the RB/CCE, burned with the Nero. I tried CopyToDVD to burn, but it wouldn't burn due to the bogus file material. There is no override with CopyToDVD. The Forgotten had additional encryption besides the Sony ARccOS. I don't remember if it was PuppetMaster or another. With AnyDVD one can open the Info window and check. The window no longer opens as default because it was scarring some newbies.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

BTW, with AnyDVD running and DVD Decrypter ripping to the HD, the rip time for The Forgotten was about 15 minutes, or possibly a little less.

20. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

may i ask a ?.....i have used decrypter then shrink, have had some probs....most with bourne supremacy..just can't get it....should i use anydvd in lieu of shrink....is it better..worth the $$$...i like shrink...almost like linguine with garlic and olive oil....lol