1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with TY disks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by babelfish, Feb 10, 2005.

1. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i bought 200 Taiyo Yuden disks from bigpockets.co.uk just b4 xmas... the 1st 100 went fine - not a single coaster etc and no problems with playback...

however, since new year i have cracked into the second hundred and the last few have been really 'flakey' with playback errors and my m8s burner wont even handle 1/2 of them

the lead says the right code for TY disks but the colour of the dye is really light (i usually can tell the disk quality by the darkness of the dye)

also the lead code is TY G02 - is this a cappy run?

is this just a bad spindle or what?

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

babelfish: Not sure about the disks themselves but i usually buy them 50 at a time because i've heard some people have problems with the 100's. This is delicate media we are talking about and stacking them up 100 at a time particularly for dvd media can cause issues. This is not definitive in any way, just relaying some of my thoughts.

3. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

WELL, they were in 25 disk spindles... so they should be ok... and were shrinkwrapped - but without the usual paper wrapper that, say, the 100 traxdata ones i just bough have

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

I've burned a few hundred of the TYG02 disks with no errors. The dye on these disks is pretty dark though, so I'm thinking you might have gotten some fake disks. Another thing that makes me think you might have gotten fakes is that some of my friends in the uk have told me about their dealings with getting TYs over there. From their experience, the only genuine TY disks came in 50 piece spindles. 100 piece were fakes, though I'm not sure if any of them tested 25 piece spindles.

Is bigpockets.co.uk a normally reputable retailer over there?

And i couldn't find the TY disks on bigpockets, whats the url?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  5. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I live in the UK and the most reliable source of TY over here only supply packs of 100. I test each pack I get and so far they've all been lip-smackingly excellent.

As Balaam says, the only time I've seen any complaints about TY was when they turned out to be fakes.

I still wonder what TY do with their "failed QA" disks, I mean they must produce some, right?
    With makes like Ritek you do see grade A/B, B, and landfill grade disks about, but TY just seem to have the one grade (which is AAA+++ in my book!).

6. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

it seemed odd to me that the dye is so light (like real cheapo disks)

but as i say i have burned 100 of them with no problems!

maybe i should dump that spindle and try another one?

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, upon reflection, I think I got that switched around. It was the 100 packs that were the genuine article, not the fifty.

Maybe on your next purchase try another retailer. Higgsbsun, who do you use?

8. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I use these guys:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Show_me_all_the_DVD_R.html

I suppose folk in the US will laugh at the prices we have to pay - 60UKP per 100, but it's in line with the ridiculous prices we pay over here, ie chart DVDs such as Resident Evil Apocalypse 14UKP, any recent audio CD 10-13UKP. Yup, the UK is not known as "Treasure Island" for nothing.

PS. Petrol (gasoline), 4UKP per gallon

9. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

WELL, THESE ones were end of line - 100 for £20 (thats about $37 (US) so not too bad - problem is the second half seem crap. i now have no confidence we these so i dont know what to do with the remaining 100!

10. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

20UKP for 100, that is cheap........ if they're genuine TY.

11. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

it was a one day special, selling off the last 4x at 1/2 price

12. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

13. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

thx m8e!

i am sending out an email to them asking for replacements.

i have had probs b4 when they sent me some cheapo disks instead of the MCC ones i ordered (again on sale) and they ended up sending me some traxdata disks that were excellent - G05s - very dark dye.

14. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Like I said before, Whenever I've seen complaints about TY quality, they turn out to be fakes.

Please let us know if they:-

A) Fess up

B) Give you a refund or exchange

15. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

will do!

i have added a link to the cdfreaks webbie and also laid it on thick that they have had a similar thing b4.. maybe the last time i buy from they i guess

16. pieman

pieman Regular member

17. pieman

pieman Regular member

Stay away from disccity.co.uk theyre selling budget discs with a ty code and we all know what they are

18. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

i just received an email from bigpockets and they said to RMA and they will swap out the disks for some alternatives

where do i actually stand though? i mean surely they SHOULD send me some of like quality to the real TY disks... so, would that be verbatim datalife?

19. smackfrog

smackfrog Member

I have been having problems with some TY discs. I bought a 100 pack from meritline.com and at first everything was good. I used them for a few ps2 back-ups and several dvd copies and everything was going well, until recently I have had several discs that I used decrypter on and then shrink and everything seemed to go well, until when I try playback the disc will not read on either my standalone player or my computer. It tries to read and says there is no disc. Now... some have worked and some have not, and I've done the same thing everytime. I am baffled!!! TYG02 is the media code.. anyone offer any suggestions as to what in the hell is going on?

20. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Thats suprising. I'm sending their kids to college with the amount of TY brand disks I buy from meritline. No problems here.

What is the brand and model of your dvd player?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005