1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with Version 7 PS2, Magic 3.1 chip with clip

Discussion in 'PS2' started by kunousama, Mar 4, 2003.

1. kunousama

kunousama Guest

Hey, I installed a Magic 3.1 chip with a clip in my version 7 PS2, and things don't seem to be working out right.
    Normal PS2 games seem to work fine, but other things don't:
    Xenogears for PSX sometimes doesn't work
    Xenosaga sometimes doesn't work
    Driver for PSX, copied on a Maxell CD-R74 hardly ever works, and only after a lot of fiddling with the machine.
    I haven't tested it with PS2 backups yet.

I think all of the connections are all right, but since this the first time I have done this I could be mistaken
    any help? thanks

2. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

You can use a digital multimeter to test if you installed your modchip correctly.

You want to test for two things: Good connections and lack of bridges.

For testing good connections, you have a red wire and a black wire on the multimeter. Black is ground. Put black on the copper edge around the PS2 motherboard. Tough your solder points (the wire or solder, not the point) with the red. If the resistance is low (something close to 0) you've made a connection.

For testing bridged connections, just put the black/ground cable on nearby components which you worry might have been bridged. Put the red cable on the solder point/wire. The resistance should be high. Most of mine were something like 100 million. If there's a connection with a low resistance, you've got a bridged connection there. Use some desoldering braid to pick up the solder and resolder more precisely, not bridging that connection.

After you've tested all your points and after you've fixed everything so that your multimeter tells you you're the man, either A) your PS2 will work or B) you've got some sort of hardware problem that's gotta be dealt with. A is far more likely. Go for it.

P.s. This is the multimeter I used during my testing:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...y_name=CTLG_008_002_001_000&product_id=22-218

3. kunousama

kunousama Guest

hey, thanks. I took off the clip and resoldered it into the machine, and it looks like regular PS2 games and import PS2 games work normally.
    However, it looks like PSX games don't work. When I put them in and reset the console, the console automatically goes to the "loading" screen were it shows the memory cards, and then it says that the game is not a PS2 or PSX game. Did the Magic 3.1 somehow get rid of backwards capability?
    Holding down the reset button to turn off the chip allows US games to be played, but no import games.

4. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

First off, to play PSX games (import or not) you should be able to just hold the reset button until the eject light turns on. If that doesn't work -- I'm not sure.

5. mad_druid

mad_druid Member

Hope This helps...

Ive been having the same problems it the red screen of death.. I got my clips at modchip.ca... Forget about the L clip its useless. I tryed all night to find was was going wrong and that was the probem. I tryed it on 2 system and the L clip is total crap.

My solution is do a direct connection for the back. It should fix the many problems with the cilp kits and the ps2 V7.

If you still get the red screen Just tap the reset and it should work.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  6. kunousama

kunousama Guest

hey, the PS2 was working fine for awhile, booting everything from Gran Turismo 3 (original) to a copied Driver on a CD-R.
    However, today when playing Gran Turismo 3 the game froze up on one of the loading screens and now PS2 doesn't work. When the power is turned on and Reset is hit, the color of the light changes and the eject lights up, but the tray does not come out.

any ideas?

7. kunousama

kunousama Guest

oh yeah, another strange thing was while the PS2 was working before, the clock was always set to 1/1/00 12:00:00 and couldn't be changed.

8. kunousama

kunousama Guest

okay, first I went through and replaced the 5V and ground wires with thicker wires and tested this. This worked for a short while, and then went black again. I then disconnected the Z point, to see it this would help. This seems to work somewhat, since I haven't been getting the blank screen. However, the system is not reliable at booting import PS2 games, and never boots PSX games, even when the reset is held down.

9. T-Minus10

T-Minus10 Regular member

10. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

u only need the 5v,grn,z and reset connections to boot a ps1 backup, so if your ps1 fail to boot your should check your "z" cause the chip is definitely getting food (power)and running your other backups u say, so your other connections should be ok. Sounds like u real close but u got a small glich somewhere.

11. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I have had cases where the machine was having problem for no apparent reason and i just did the job all over again. I recommend this. I use a solder cleaning solvent to clean up the board before i reinstall chip. Test machine before installing chip, all is good, then go ahead and install. I test every connection before i went on to another. I know, I know, it took a while but it was very successfull.

12. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

i recommend a tester with the continuity tester that makes the sound, i found it more convenient than looking up at the meter. Just buy one from radio shack and return it when u done for a refund.

13. mad_druid

mad_druid Member

Guy's try keeping your wire as short as posible...this really makes the problem go away. It did for me.

14. panic527

panic527 Member

Guys...

Let's think about something. If the meter (mentioned above) was connected as directed, and you read near zero Ohms....

...doesn't that mean you shorted every wire to ground? *lol* Not good...

Further, when you read resistance between leads on chips (or points on boards) you can read different resistance depending on which lead is placed at which end. "Junction devices" behave this way, and it might be very low resistance one way and very high if you swap the leads - don't freak out if it's not very high the first reading...swap your leads and read again.

Also, the "beep" feature (called a continuity tester, BTW) on many meters is OK - but you *have* to remember - most of them will beep on anything less than a few hundred Ohms. It does not necessarily indicate a "dead short" - which is what you want to read from end to end of your wires. Also, I make habit of reading *beyond* the point where you soldered (not just at the end of the wire itself, which unless you broke the wire itself, will always read a short, and you're not checking the actual solder connection). So, for a quick test, sure, use the beeper...but if you want to be sure, use the scale (or digits) and check past where you soldered at both ends.

Finally, I find it a real stretch (no pun intended) that wire length has much to do with it.

Having said all that, I still have similar problems as others with this Magic Chip. I am *definitely* sure that nothing was done wrong with the installation (of course, as good practice, I'm going to disassemble it soon to make sure).

I'm not saying bad installs don't cause problems, just that it seems to me that a lot of problems revolve around the chip itself.

I don't own the unit, nor the chip, I did the work for a friend because of my solder skills. I do, however, feel somewhat bad that it doesn't appear to work well at all.

Any real help with this?