1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with watching DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by ajh85, Apr 10, 2005.

1. ajh85

ajh85 Member

Hey guys. I recently bought a new computer but unfortunately I have not yet worked out how to watch DVD's. Whenever I insert a disc, Windows Media Player 10 says I do not have the right decoder. I have also tried using a program called "PCFriendly" and had the same result. Can someone tell me a) what this means and b) how do I fix it so I can watch DVD's on my computer?

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey ajh85,

Look for a program called PowerDVD. You should be able to get that and then watch them on your pc.

Also, in the future, as this has been asked as well. Utilize the AfterDawn's search engine, it is very good!

Here is the link:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/

Or

Google.com, will be helpful as well.

Hope this helps!

;)

3. ajh85

ajh85 Member

Thanks for the response. I just did a quick search for this program and it appears that you need to buy it. Is this the case or can it be downloaded and installed free? Please let me know if you know any links to find it.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Good grief. It is nice to have some free software, but sometimes, you just have to pay for some.

If you don't want to pay, do a search for free software that will do what you want it to do.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your motherboard cd to see if have windvd or powerdvd as both do the same but by different companies

6. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

You will need to purchase a codec that is designed for use with Windows Media Player. I use the Sonic codec (encoder-decorder) available for about twenty dollars. Also see if you actually did get a pc applications cd with your unit which may have Power DVD or another program free of charge. If not you need to pay to play.

7. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

here is something that is free . i have never used it but it says its free and does most formats .http://www.cliprex.com/