1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problems with wiid chip

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by si2252, Jun 8, 2007.

1. si2252

si2252 Member

firstly i installed the wiid chip, and when soldering the c wire the solder attempted to lift off the board. but i sure i caught it in time.
    original game works fine so dont think i done any damage when soldering.

downloaded the firmware and burned it to disc and then tryed a backed up game and my problems started.

firstly how big is the burned image of the firmware on the disc. i think mine is only 8mb

secondly i have tryed using verbatim and hyundai discs and getting nowhere.

and when the discs are spinning there is a clicking noise, but i dont think that is a problem.

my burner is a dvd+r.

what can i do now, its going to cost if a keep trying every dvd media on the market to see whats compatible.

could someone please point me in the right direction, i dont know what the best course of action is now.

2. si2252

si2252 Member

i got hold of some maxell dvd+r discs and burned the firware and a backup onto disc.

i still have the same problem where neither seem to work, but i have noticed that there is no longer any clicking when the discs spin up.

and when i insert the discs i get the menu about unable to read disc, but not as before when it was a black screen with white writing.
    so think i am getting a little further.

i am not convinced that i have burned the firmware correctly.
    when i burned this to disc it only takes a small amout of disc space. (800Mb), is this correct or have i done something wrong when burning the firmware.

If someone could take a look at their firmware disc to see how big the image is i would appreciate it.

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

The size should be fine.

What disc are you trying to play?

What region is your Wii?

What Region are the game disc?

4. si2252

si2252 Member

i have made a backup of red steel.

my region is pal and so is the game.

running out of ideas now

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Try getting Maxell DVD-R media. DVD-R media seem to be more compatible with the Wii. Even tho some say they can use DVD+R it doesn't necessarily mean your Wii will read them. I tried a few different brands including DVD+R media which would not work. I then found that Maxell DVD-R work great.

If your burner is only DVD+R and can not burn DVD-R then maybe invest in a new burner that reads both -/+

Also you said...

If you mean the C pad started to come off then maybe you are not getting a good connection. Try connecting the C wire to the alternate spot on the WiiD chip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  6. si2252

si2252 Member

i check my burner but i sure its only dvd+r.

the c connection is where it is connected to the wii motherboard. when i soldered the wire from the chip to the motherboard the connection tryed to lift off the motherboard. but think i saved it in time. so i taped the wires down to the motherboard to take and stress of the connection.

7. si2252

si2252 Member

just checked on net and it will do both + and -.

its a sony dw-d22a.

i get some discs later tonight and give it a go in the morning.

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would defiantly try burning with some DVD-R. Wii's can be very picky at what media it will read. So I hope it is as simple as a media issue. Report back if the new media works.

9. si2252

si2252 Member

try'd burning with maxell dvd-r but same problem persists.

just displays unable to read disc.

everything is fine with the original game, but not the backup.

when i soldered i did not fit the 6th wire which is soldered to the switch. would this make a difference

10. si2252

si2252 Member

found problem. it was the wire b that had lifted the solder off the motherboard.

i try'd to solder it direct to the chip but with no sucess. contacts are just to small. could not get any solder on the motherboard where it originaly was.

at the min it still works normaly.

any ideas. whats the best way to get the solder back onto the motherboard?

11. si2252

si2252 Member

managed to clean some of the track up and soldered the wire to the track.

that wire is held on by a fanny's hair but its all taped down and working.
    that has got to be the most difficult thing i soldered, without having a magnifying glass and a small solder tip. i still shaking now.

thanks for all the help, i need a rest now !!!!!!!!!

12. Henshin

Henshin Member

Heyy Henshin back on After Dawn after an Xtreme Vacation!
    Anyway, after I fried my PSP, I'm trying my hand at my Wii!

I've installed the WiiD MOD chip to the BEST of my ability. The contact point being so VERY small, I spen all my Saturday soldering.

1. Burnt the WiiD Firmware to STAPLES brand, DVD+R
    2. Burnt Game ISO to the same type of disc.

I get "Unable to read" errors with both CD's. I know it's supposed to happen with the WiiD firmware CD, but the time it takes for thw Wii to read the disc and give the error message is quick. So, I assumed that I have to burn it to a DVD-R. I only used DVD+R because the WiiD Firmware update allows it to read DVD+R. But it seems that I must first use a DVD-R to upgrade the WiiD firmware. At least I HOPE AND PRAY THAT THIS IS THE CASE. Because I have insalled and re-installed the WiiD chip TWICE!

Does anyone have any response to this at all. Such as the brand of DVD I should consider using (since STAPLES is a store brand)

In other news... Remember to Patch you Wii ISO before burning, with WiiBrickBlocker. Now v1.3

13. si2252

si2252 Member

maxell dvd+r are the only discs that work with my wii.