1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with WinDV

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by berndu, Feb 9, 2005.

1. berndu

berndu Member

I just got my Canopus ADVC-100 today, plugged everything in and was ready to start capturing analog video. Following the suggestions given in this forum I tried to used WinDV. But nothing happened when I tried to capture video.

I then tried the other program suggested -- DVIO. That worked like a charm. I don't quite understand why one capture utility worked and not the other? Any suggestions out there on what I might have been doing wrong?

I would like to try both just to see if there is any difference in the captured video. Plus, I hate when I can't get something working. I just have to get it working or else it bugs me until I do.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestion or info.

2. berndu

berndu Member

Okay, I have it figured out.

For some reason, I had to boot my machine with the Canopus ADVC-100 turned on to get WinDV to see the DV coming out of the ADVC-100.

DVIO didn't care. I could turn on the ADVC-100 after booting and no problem.

I thought having an on/off switch (and 5v adapter) was a big advantage of the ADVC-100 over the ADVC-110. The ADVC-110 is always on if the DV cable (firewire) is plugged into both the computer and the Canopus ADVC-110 (which is what the manufacturer recommends to prevent damage to the device) when booting. Therefore, the user should never experience the problem that I experienced. The on/off switch is still a nice feature for those of us that do not want the converter box on all the time when not in use.