1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Processors & Cooling please!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by U53R, Dec 25, 2007.

1. U53R

U53R Member

What do yall think is better and why? The AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor or the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor? I know quad-core is the latest and greatest but how does the dual cores higher GHz and what not factor in?

As to the cooling, how do I go about cooling a (pre-built) brand new HP once I pack it full of ram, a higher watt power supply, and a sexy GeForce 8800GT 512MB video card? Don't tell me to pass up the pre-built for a custom build because I am not that experienced yet, if I was I wouldn't be asking yall this :p I thought about drilling more vents in the case but I don't have the equipment for that. Maybe having someone drill a circular or square hole in the side, super gluing a mesh like screen over it from the inside, and adding fans to the inside of the machine? Any help would be much appreciated.

Processors

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

The quad core is definelty better. It's better just because it has 4 cores, a duel core has 2. That means the quadcore can get the same amount of stuff done in half the time as a duel core.

As for cooling, you can buy a aftermarket cpu cooler, but the stock one should be fine if you're not over clocking.

Are there any places to mount a 80mm fan?

Some more things to think about are that is the cpu the right socket? What socket motherboard do you have?

PS, the intel Q6600 is way better than AMD's quad core, but if you already have a AMD socket mobo, then dont bother.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Active member

You can get a decent case for maybe 50 bucks. It's VERY easy to put your existing stuff in there. Most HP cases are built for Mini-atx motherboard and are very small and full of cables. This would limit your airflow, and that 8800GT is a hot card(90C at load). This is will a LOT of heat and a lot of it will go out of the case from the area around your CPU cooler and you might even require an aftermarket cooler.

EDIT: Also have you bought the PSU yet?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The cooling in an HP case will be woefully insufficient for an 8800GT. Unless you're willig to buy a new case and re-assemble the whole PC, you'll need to get a card with a two-slot cooler on it so it won't overheat. For that reason I advise an HD3870.