1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prodisc 4x-what is going on?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by livia7916, Dec 15, 2004.

1. livia7916

livia7916 Member

I just received Prodisc 4x dvd-r from dvd-rwmedia.com. I ran nero cd-dvd speed test. The outcome--they are from VERBATIM
    CODE: MCC 01 RG20. The capacity is 4.38 gb, not 4.7.
    Average speed 2-2x. It started at 2.05x ende at 2.23x speed. type p-cav.

another test on another dvd-r, started at 2.29x and ended at 2.46, average 2.39x, type p-cav.

Can anyone explain this to me? Are they still good? I will try one out today to see the quality of the dvd.

2. tomripley

tomripley Member

Prodisc has a license from Mitsubishi Chemicals (who also owns Verbatim) to use that code on their own media. I *think* they also have the right to use MCC technology for it, but I'm not sure. It may also be that they use the code solely to make their media compatible with more burners, even though it still uses their own dye.

In short, the disks you have received are overwhelmingly likely to have been made by Prodisc, and as such the quality is likely to be decent enough. I'm a bit puzzled at why you can only burn it at 2x, though.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Updating the firmware for you burner may help :)

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

The [bold]true[/bold] capacity for a dvd-5 is 4.38 gb.

I would be tickled with Verbatum code MCC 01 RG20. Grade A stuff.

5. tomripley

tomripley Member

The MCC code does not necessarily mean that these are of the same quality as Verbatim media, nor has anyone promised that it will be. Prodisc may not do as much quality assurance as is done for Verbatim media, etc, etc...

6. sturski

sturski Member

I recently bought 500 of these disks after having increasingly bad luck with branded Ritek RiData G04s. The first 50 have been flawless and have all burned at 4x. These are my new disk of choice.

7. livia7916

livia7916 Member

I burned them and the image quality is very good on my dvd players.

I don't know why it burns only at 2x. My dvd burner is from maddog 6in1 megastor multimedia which should burn at 8x through 48x and nero 6 came with it. I'm having problems with Nero. I can't seem to burn basic data from my desktop to a blank cd.

Thanks for your help guys!